Michael Jackson's SACD's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jonathan Burk, Jul 23, 2001.

1. Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk Second Unit

Jonathan Burk
    From http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,30233,00.html :

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I just read about this on Audio Asylum. It should be interesting. I've been very impressed with the Thriller stereo SACD, which I believe is slated for a stereo/multi-channel SACD release. I think the title track would be outstanding in surround sound. Otherwise, I would buy Off the Wall on SACD in a heartbeat.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

3. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

The article does not mention whether or not these "remixes" are in surround sound or if they were done simply to improve the fidelity for SACD (or both). On the one hand, listening to 50 different versions of each song implies different surround mixes, at least to me. But I also believe -- and this has been an oft-stated concern of mine -- that they will tweak/eq the tracks to differentiate the sound from the CD version. In other words, whatever the final mix is, will they release the identical mix on plain old redbook CD? I don't think they will, because most people will not notice the difference unless they also do some audio sweetening.
    Furthermore, wasn't Bad recorded digitally? If so, at what resolution? Chances are it was no more than 16-bits, in which case any purported claim of an improved mix for SACD or DVD-A would be completely bogus.

4. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

5. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

6. RicP

RicP Screenwriter