1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Michael Jackson remasters, anyone?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Birchall, Oct 16, 2001.

1. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

Anybody else picking up one, some, or all of the Michael Jackson remasters tomorrow? Off the Wall, Thriller, Bad, and Dangerous are all being re-released as Special Edition remasters, with, er, remastered tracks and bonus tracks, like demo versions or totally unreleased tracks. The new Thriller disc even contains a never-before-heard second verse to the Vincent Price speech in the title track.
    I'm picking up Off the Wall and Thriller tomorrow. I might pick up the other two at some point in the future, but I've got a lot of other things I need to get first.
    Anyone with me? Or should I immediately begin to regret posting this in the first place? [​IMG]
    -mwb-
    (grabs crotch) [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Obi-Wan (to Anakin):
    Why do I think you're going to be the death of me?
    Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
    May 22, 2002

2. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

Wow! I had no idea these even existed until I opened up this thread. I've lost my cassette of Thriller, so I'll be needing to pick that up along with Off the Wall and Bad. "Smooth Criminal"...what a great f***ing song. [​IMG]
    You know, Jacko has been ridiculed and made fun of several times over the past 20 years or so, and to be honest, he brought quite a bit of it on himself. But when he was on, he was on, and nobody could top him.
    These remasters sound pretty neat, but I have one minor quibble: why did they have to redo the cover art? What the hell is this:
    [​IMG]
    At least the other remaster covers haven't been altered too much.
    By the way, does anybody have the tracklistings for the remasters? Amazon and CDNOW don't have anything other than a price, and I am interested in what the bonus tracks are.
    ------------------
    Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
    ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

3. andrew markworthy

4. PienSavaca

PienSavaca Stunt Coordinator

I really hate that the RIAA is blaming mp3s for the declining sales of CDs when it was established YEARS AGO (1998?) that 'catalog' CD sales had slowed. (Translation: people had replaced all of the records that they were going to.) The only way to milk the public once again was to keep releasing "remasters" to get them to re-buy the same CDs all over again. Arrgh!

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

6. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

As far as the covers go, the "new" Thriller cover with Michael holding the tiger is just a slipcase, and when you take the jewelcase out of the slipcase, then you see the familiar "Michael Reclining" cover. The back of the jewelcase shows a picture from the set of the Thriller video, and there are several other pictures from that set in the CD booklet, in addition to some other photos.
    Off the Wall is in the slipcase-style too (as the other two albums are, I'm sure), but the jewelcase is the "revisionist" cover of Michael's legs, glowing socks, and feet, and not the funky Afro head shot of the original.
    Apparently, they've added some new photos in the CD booklet here, too.
    Extra songs on the new Off the Wall Special Edition:
    -"Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" (Original Demo From 1978)
    -"Workin' Day And Night" (Original Demo From 1978)
    Also contains new interviews with Producer Quincy Jones and Songwriter Rod Temperton discussing the making of "Off The Wall"
    Extras on Thriller Special Edition:
    -"Someone in the Dark"
    -"Billie Jean" (Home Demo From 1981) (Previously Unreleased)
    -Voice-Over Session from "Thriller"
    including Vincent Price reading the never-before-heard
    2nd verse
    -"Carousel" (Previously Unreleased)
    New Interviews with Producer Quincy Jones and Songwriter Rod Temperton discussing the making of "Thriller".
    Those are the only ones I bought today, and I'll probably get the other two on down the line. Haven't gone through them yet (only scanned through them while in the car driving back), and I'm still playing with the Phantom Menace DVD, but from what I've heard, they sounded pretty good.
    Glad I never bought the old CDs, which I was on the verge of buying several times.
    -mwb-
    ------------------
    Obi-Wan (to Anakin):
    Why do I think you're going to be the death of me?
    Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
    May 22, 2002
    [Edited last by Matt Birchall on October 16, 2001 at 01:31 PM]

7. PienSavaca

PienSavaca Stunt Coordinator