What's new

Michael Clarke Duncan is The Kingpin (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I think it's a good choice, he's a good actor and has great screen presence. I don't think it matters that he's black and Wilson Fisk is white in the comics.
I liked John Rhys-Davies' (who can be seen right now in "Lord of the rings") portrayal of Fisk in the TV-movie Link Removed quite a bit too, and if they couldn't have gotten Duncan, I think he would have been a good choice still. Daredevil was in that movie too, by the way.
/Mike

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The main thing is that he can act and be physically imposing in a nice suit. :) I think Duncan qualifies on both counts. I have yet to see "The Green Mile", but I thought he gave good performances in "The Whole Nine Yards" and "Planet of the Apes".
Regards,

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm with you there, Steve. And, I really don't agree with casting MCD as the Kingpin, either. The Kingpin's been around for close to 40 years now, and just shouldn't be changed like that. Not that that bit of casting would keep me away. Affleck will, though.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The Kingpin's been around for close to 40 years now, and just shouldn't be changed like that.
How could he not be changed? There's nobody on earth that meets the physical dimensions of the man as drawn in the comics. Ethnicity was certainly a smaller part of his character than size, why can't they alter both? I certainly hope they change Daredevil's costume. I don't need to see a real person in those red tights. :)
Regards,

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Ben Affleck in the title role is a dream? More like a nightmare!
That's what everybody said about that guy named Michael in those first two movies about the Batdude. I am not crazy about the choice right now either but will give him a chance. As for Duncan in the role of Kingpin :D :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: Ole hornhead is my second favorite comic character. Bullseye is an excellent first villian.
I would have been happier with Jolene Blalock (ENTERPRISE) to play Elektra but Garner should do a good job. I like her in Alias, I just though someone less recognizable would have been better. Take the wig, brows and ears off of Blalock and I doubt many would know her.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Nice...very nice... :emoji_thumbsup: for MCD! The man can flat out act, and he's built like a comic book character!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I thought about that, Ken, but I'm sure you could find some wrestler big enough. Hmm. Wrestlers. Acting. I withdraw my objections! :)

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit
I always wanted to put Donald Sutherland in the role. To me the fact that Kingpin was big and fat has always been a non issue. As far as I'm concerned the only reason they made him big and fat was to differentiate him from Lex Luthor. I think Donald makes a great creppy villain, and I'd love to see him take on this character, perhaps a few parts Mr X, a dash of backdraft psycho and some of that character whom I can't remember the name of or movie he appeared in right now ;)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Marlon Brando fills the dimensions of Mr. Fisk quite well:). Did you see the guy in The Score!

CoreyII

Second Unit
First of all, the Kingpin is not fat but actually muscle. Anybody who read the Frank Miller era Daredevil/'s or the Marvel Universe Handbook would know that.

Secondly, they shouldn't change Kingpin around the character has been a caucasian male for more than 40 years why mess with tradition.

Third, Affleck wouldn't have been my choice to play Matt Murdock, I would have preferred his buddy Matt Damon in the role.

Finally, Im still one of those people who did not like Keaton as Bat-Man. Kilmer was o.k. and Clooney is not even worth mentioning.

bill lopez

Second Unit
It's o.k. he looks the part and can act, it's not like if they were using a black superman and that would be o.k. if the actor fit the part.Brando is in his mid 70's and although he looks the part he may not move as well.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
To me it's perfect typecasting. As soon as I heard his name I thought "yeah, that's a Kingpin".

The color thing is a moot point. As long as they don't play upon it in the movie since racial issues WEREN'T a part of his character (see WWWest for this type of fuck up, Smith was fine but all the new racial material, stupid). Otherwise, how does it alter things? Skin color? Please.

That's no different than different faces. If Jackman can play Wolverine (too thin and didn't look old and rough enough), then MCD is all-over Kingpin, if he can play nasty enough (he always comes off as sorta nice, even in Apes).

btw, I thought Jackman was excellent at Wolverine, just like MCD will probably be.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
There are certain character traits that just don't matter that much. Matt Murdock has been a blind redhead for 40 years. If they don't dye Affleck's hair red, I will not care one fig. If they don't make the character blind, it will ruin him. Similarly, the Kingpin, in essence, is a big intimidating crime lord. The closest I have seen to a movie character with the Kingpin vibe in the last few years was Marcellus Wallace in Pulp Fiction. Obviously, Ving Rhames was too tiny to play the Kingpin, so the producers went with Duncan. :)
Regards,

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I grew up reading the Frank Miller Daredevil comics from the early 80's. From the list of characters it seems they are using the great story arcs from those issues.
Now its been many years but I've always thought the Kingpin character is basically a Mafiaso crime lord of Italian heritage. Brando is too old now but about 20 years ago he would have been perfect. However, I do think Michael Clark Duncan will probably be great in it.
What bothers me is Ben Affleck. I don't think I can handle a smug Matt Murdock.
:thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks