Michael Cimino's YEAR OF THE DRAGON -- Who owns this one?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kenneth English, Sep 6, 2001.

1. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit

I remember seeing this on cable way back in the late 80s. My memory of it is kind of hazy now but I recall that Mickey Rourke's gray hair looked pretty fake and the Oriental chick he gets busy with was a horrible actress. Other than that I liked it.
    Anyway -- who has the rights to this one (i.e. who do we pester about getting a DVD at their next HTF chat? [​IMG] )?
    Also, who owns Cimino's THE SICILIAN (another good one)?
    [Edited last by Kenneth English on September 06, 2001 at 01:27 PM]

2. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    Is Cimino still alive?
    I love Thunderbolt & Lightfoot and wish he would have done a commentary on that DVD. Ditto for Deer Hunter and... Heaven's Gate! Wouldn't it be amazing to hear what he has to say about that! LOL!

3. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Stunt Coordinator

What I remember most about YOTD was the excellent recreation of NYC's Chinatown and Little Italy in its North Carolina location set. As for the movie, I didn't much care for it. Typical Cimino over-indulgence and loaded with unpleasant characters. And you are correct on Rourke's hair coloring. It changed from scene to scene often looking like he stuck it in a bag of flour.

5. James David Walley

James David Walley Stunt Coordinator

Last I heard, Cimino was working on some huge epic about the history of Brazil (to be titled Brazil, and won't that be a source of confusion down the road!), produced by a Brazilian studio and filmed in Portugese. Like many "arty" directors, Cimino is more highly-regarded outside the U.S. than he is here.