What's new

Michael buble anyone...??? (1 Viewer)

DaveJJ

Stunt Coordinator
Hi everybody!

Anybody listen to young guy from Canada? Here are some CD notes from his debut CD by the same name.

Producer David Foster (Celine Dion, Barbra Streisand, Whitney Houston) has a new discovery in the wake of a very successful young find Josh Groban. Michael Buble (pronounced boo-blay) is a 25-year-old singing sensation whose smooth voice & heartthrob style harks back to the swingin' greats of earlier decades, to the likes of Frank & Dean, but also speaks to a new generation's sensibility. 2003 self-titled debut from Reprise/143.

Is anybody listening??
DaveJJ

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I bought his christmas album for my parents and loved it so much I had to get it myself (and I don't like christmas albums)
He's got a new disk out now, think I'll give it a spin.

Great voice, smooth notes... great stuff!

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Despite the fact that he's often produced by the hack, David Foster, he's a genuine talent and has talented musicians playing for him (a number of whom also play/tour with Diana Krall). Not a musician, but one of the best "crooners" of his generation (by that, I mean under 50). If you're a fan of big band arrangements (a la Bennett, Sinatra, Connick Jr., etc.) then Buble is definitely worth checking out. I look forward to catching him at the Montreal Jazz Festival this summer.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Ouch! David Foster is one of my all time fav's. Why do you say he's a hack? He's produced some of the most popular music of the 70's and 80's.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Sorry, I don't usually vent my spleen about music in public fora (don't want to insult anyone's tastes) but ever since Foster did the theme to the Calgary Olympics, everything he's produced (IMO) has been far too glossy and sacchrine-like. He's worked with Celine Dion, who, while often derided, has an exceptional talent. With Luc Plamondon (a French Quebecois songwriter/producer) she's done some wonderful French recordings, where she sings in the manner the song requires--not in some histrionic, show the world I can out DIVA anyone fashion that she uses in English--under the auspices of Foster, among others. Hack was perhaps an unfortunate word, as Foster clearly has talent. IMO, though, he often wastes it, as Celine does, by going for the ultra-slick, over-produced, soulless sound that follows the pop song formula without variation (you know, when the last third of the song starts, the refrain goes up a third of an octave, right on cue. Such a technique, appropriately and SPARSELY used, can be effective, but it's become a major cliche in pop music and Foster is as guilty of encouraging it as anyone). It burns me more when people like Foster and Celine Dion, who clearly have talent, fall into this pattern, than it does to have no-(musical)talent acts like Britney Spears and various boy bands parade across the airwaves. At least they can't do any better.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I am quite upset that Foster doesn't do any more of his own stuff. As a keyboard player, he was my "hero" growing up. His piano playing is great and his melodies are extremely catchy.

As far as his new "producer" projects go, I really haven't followed too much, probably because you don't hear of him too much (at least in America) so I can't make any comments.Again, it sounds like he's quite active up there, but I really haven't heard much about him in the past 10 years, so I can only talk about his older work (which was :emoji_thumbsup: )

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Good timing for starting this thread, he's going to be on Letterman tonight.

NeilTHI

Agent
Just got his new album 'It's Time' I love it. Big buzz about the guy in the UK at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks