What's new

Michael Bay to produce Texas Chainsaw remake??? (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Pretty good trailer.
It looks like they aren't doing a straight remake, which is a good thing.
...although they did ripoff the little "snapshots" from the beginning of TCM :D

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Ok, I've got to admit, that didn't look terrible. Maybe if I can go in and just forget that I'm watching a remake of a classic, I'll be able to enjoy this.
....But it's Michael Bay, damnit, and Texas Chainsaw Massacre, those two things just shouldnd't be connected!:angry:

Kenneth English

Second Unit
Didn't we just see this? It was titled Wrong Turn then but it looks like the Exact. Same. Movie. Whatever.
Oh, and I see they're still trying to use the "Based on a True Story" B.S. I can see why the first film tried this stunt since it was an ultra-low budget exploitation movie and needed the notoriety to make money, but it seems more than a little foolish to try it in this day and age. I live in Dallas, Texas and I'm still, to this day, flabergasted by how many of my fellow Texans believe The Texas Chainsaw Massacre really happened!!!!! :rolleyes: Idiots.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
Wrong Turn said:
What part of it is B.S.? It said "Inspired" not "Based" and it was inspired by Ed Gein, among other things.
Why this need to dismiss this movie out of hand because it was produced by Michael Bay? He didn't direct it. Give it a chance I say. After all, Jerry Bruckheimer, his partner in crime in some of the worst overbloated action movies ever made did produce Pirates of the Caribbean, and that turned out alright. I'll at least see this, and hope it will be decent.

John Doran

Screenwriter
this is music-video director marcus nispel's freshman movie effort.

i do so love r lee ermey. and the trailer really doesn't look too bad at all; if i didn't know it was a remake, i'd probably want to see it, despite michael bay's involvement...

but we shall see what we shall see.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
After watching the trailer and doing some research on imdb I wrote this to express my feelings:
Why this never should have been made problem: No Tobe Hooper.
First problem: Its being produced by Micheal Bay.
Second problem: No Gunnar Hansen as Leatherface.
Third problem: Being directed by someone who made Janet Jackson videos.
Forth problem: Jessica Biel, star of the WB's Christian Family Drama 7th Heaven is the lead role.
Fifth problem: "New Line is making a toned-down version of the 1974 gorefest..." WTF, why tone it down.
Man I love Hollywood and Micheal Bay! First lets ruin World War II and now lets ruin a cult classic....way to go! BTW - the trailer will be attached to Bad Boys II. If you go to http://www.texaschainsawmovie.com you can view the trailer now.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
Planet of the Apes said:
You do realize that David Fincher directed Aerosmith, Paula Abdul, George Michael, Wallflowers and Madonna music videos before becoming a generally well-respected director, right?

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
TCM isn't a gorefest, that's what I don't get about that new line statement. The movie is more about fucked up shit scary then all out gore scary. I will say this, if they know what is good for them they will keep the ending of the original.

The remakes doesn't ruin the film, but for the average movie goer will say, "why watch the 1974 version, when there is this nice shiny 2003 version". Maybe ruin is a bad word to pick, but distract the casual viewer, who I admit probably isn't out to see TCM in the first place, from watching the original. But then again it could also do the opposite, which in this case I hope it does.

I'm not saying that their is a problem with music video directors going on and making big screen movies, but out of all the music video directors to go to the big screen, Fincher is definetely the oddity out of the bunch.

Will K

Screenwriter
If they had to pick a music video director, it could have been much worse, like McG. Now that's scary!
smiley_chainsaw.gif

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
The remakes doesn't ruin the film, but for the average movie goer will say, "why watch the 1974 version, when there is this nice shiny 2003 version".
Who cares what other people think? Popular opinion doesn't dictate whether something is good or not, and it certainly doesn't negate the existance of the previous film.

I was kinda mad when this was originally announced, but after more thinking...the worst case is that it's bad (still leaving the original), and the best case is that it's good. In any event, I still have the original to watch...so I'll give it a shot.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
The thing is, the kids to whom this version is being marketed will most likely have not seen the original. If the new version sucks, which it may very well, a good many of them will say, "That movie sucked. Why would I ever want to watch an old version of a sucky movie?" I stand by a hard fast rule that unless you are damned sure that you can top a classic, then don't bother. There are so many original stories left to be told.

John Doran

Screenwriter
I stand by a hard fast rule that unless you are damned sure that you can top a classic, then don't bother. There are so many original stories left to be told.
i tend to agree with this principle: i think it shows distressingly poor judgment and an alarming misallocation of resources to spend time and money on remaking a movie that is pretty much incapable of being improved-upon.

of course, i also make what i'm sure the hollywood movie-moguls would consider the incomprehensible assumption that there's something far more important to movie-making than making money.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
But the very first example that leaps to mind is Ben-Hur, a classic that replaced a classic...but if they had blown it then it would have been a mistake to try. You can't judge the effort a posteri like that. After all, plenty of originals are also made with no idea if they will become classics or bombs.

Having defended the idea in general, I think the first trailer makes it look even worse than I feared. It appears that they have cribbed several scenes from the first film and then filled in the gaps with very Bay-like crap, losing all that raw energy and style that Hooper brought to the original. I think Bay's effort is going to kill all the best aspects that was there in the original and latching onto a few key scenes from the first film won't make up for it.

It is just the first trailer of course. But what they have offered me so far has not in the least interested me.

To be honest, I think Hooper could do a healthy rerelease run of his own in theaters. Definitely a fun (in a scary way) horror film that can be enjoyed with a group.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Seth, that would absolutely rock if they rereleased the original in theatres! I would love to see it on the big screen, since i only have ever seen it on my pioneer dvd, and years ago on vhs !:emoji_thumbsup:

John Doran

Screenwriter
But the very first example that leaps to mind is Ben-Hur, a classic that replaced a classic...but if they had blown it then it would have been a mistake to try. You can't judge the effort a posteri like that. After all, plenty of originals are also made with no idea if they will become classics or bombs.
hey, man - i think there are a lot of "classic" movies that can be improved-upon. there's also a fair number of recent movies that would not benefit from being remade, you know?
i was speaking merely about movies that cannot reasonably be supposed to be capable of being made better; i don't know how many movies are on that list, and all i'm saying about those movies, really, is that the chances are against you making a better version than the original - it's certainly still possible to beat the odds and do justice to the original....

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Exactly, John...so remakes shouldn't be ruled out on principle alone. Also, who really cares if a bad remake doesn't bring new, young fans to the original. That's their loss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks