What's new

Michael Bay preparing a re-make of THE BIRDS...! (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I know, I'm initiating yet another controversial M.B. thread (I personally cannot stand the man or his films) but this is an absolute insult. THE BIRDS??? Sure, sure, we'll still have Hitchcock's version and that is always the argument in support of such re-makes; but the current generation and the next one will almost certainly soon think of THE BIRDS as a Michael Bay film rather than a Hitchcock film, ad I find that thought vomitous.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0884788/

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

I love the ending on the original. In fact, it is my favorite part of the entire film.

That said, I think that this idea is insulting to the legacy of the Hitchcock film and I have no intention of seeing it, no matter how good the reviews are are. There have been plenty of Hitchcock remakes and not a one of them has turned out to be half-as-good as the original. Why do they keep doing this? Just re-release the original, and make some fancy new trailer with a Nickelback song over it, and the teens will come running.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I submit that the current and next generations do not and will not think of the original at all otherwise (I don't exactly see copies flying off the shelves into the bedrooms of teenagers and young adults right now)-- an arguably worse fate.

Now what does Bay "preparing" this remake mean? Will he be directing as most will assume at first glance? I found nothing to the effect in the link you provided.

--
H

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
As always, I don't care if the remake is good or bad because it takes nothing away from the original and may even get a few people to see the original.

Like Holadem, I think this will be something that he's producing and not directing anyway. And if Bay is directing, this will probably be one of the best inadvertant comedies of the year (like most Bay movies).

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
They need to do something to make the Birds more threatening. I never really bought into the fact that seagulls (or whatever birds they were) could be that dangerous. Sure, they would be irritating, but they couldnt kill someone.

That ruined the film for me.

Maybe, in a remake, they could make the birds actually scary. Bursting into flames might do it!! :)

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
One seagull is not scary. A million pissed off gulls would be plenty scary if they were comin' after you.

Is there any movie out there that Michael Bay is not thinking of remaking?

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Did you not see the woman that had her eyes pecked out? I would regard that as a lot more than just "irritating".

Brian - I would be interested in why you suggest it is "arguably, [the] worst Hitchcock" film. I could certainly understand it not being a favourite Hitchcock film, but at worst I would have thought it would be upper-second-tier Hitchcock. Have you not seen Topaz? Or Jamaica Inn? These are the two films I would point to as his worst films. The Birds may not quite be as great as Vertigo, but it's suspenseful, innovative, and it shows some nice experimentation particularly with use of bird calls instead of a musical score.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I love Hitchcock's "The Birds". In fact, the last time I was in San Francisco I made it a point to drive up to Bodega Bay. I can't stand Bay's films anyway so there is no way in hell I would watch this.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
What if the birds turn into giant robots with weapons? That would make them scarier and at least that is something Bay can do well.

Frankly, I find the idea of Bay remaking Hitchcock scarier than a woman having her eyes pecked out...but that's just me. :)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

Hitch's The Birds is awesome. It's an early example of survivor horror, but with
birds instead of zombies.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
I really don’t understand all the negativity.
There are reports that Rod Taylor (health permitting), Suzanne Pleshette, Tippi Hedren and most importantly Veronica Cartwright have been signed on for various cameo roles.
If this is successful, we could see the long past due, “Strangers on a Plane”.
As already mentioned, your precious originals will still be available.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks