1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Mice in my sub!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John M Miller, Oct 4, 2001.

1. John M Miller

John M Miller Stunt Coordinator

Last week I was chasing one of these buggers around my house when he ran and hid in my Boston sub! So I put a mouse trap outside the ports on the back, and it hasn't gone off and I think I've heard him in there. So took off the woofer to look inside and it's a bunch of insulation with a couple holes torn out. I saw droppings, but no mice. (I think they're inside the insulation).
    So what do I do? I don't want to poison them and have 'em die inside the foam and stink it up forever. Anbody have a suggestion? I've thought of taping up the ports, but that'll just keep the ones I that are in there, in.
    ------------------
    Fellini's Le Notti di Cabiria
    [​IMG]

2. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

holy crap, thats funny.
    can you put a screen or cheesecloth, or something else finer than mouse width over the hole without obscuring it?

3. Mike Sheahan

Mike Sheahan Stunt Coordinator

Cue up the intro for Toy Story 2, and blow the little buggers right out the port, [​IMG]then quickly throw a net over them. [​IMG]

4. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

oh, i re-read that- i didn't realize they were STILL in there after disassembly. yuck.
    perhaps it's some sort of punishment from the HomeTheater Gods for talking smack about Criterion?
    What about cranking the Haunting? Perhaps the mouse would just disintegrate? Though in all liklihood, it would probably just reducve to jelly, creating an even bigger mess.
    Maybe there is a whole nest in there.... fun.

5. Mike Sheahan

Mike Sheahan Stunt Coordinator

You know they're probably looking at it the same way we do when we put quarters in the bed at the Holiday Inn. [​IMG]

6. Mike_Ped

Mike_Ped Second Unit

See if they like Jurassic Park! [​IMG]

7. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    Can you imagine being in that sub when the TS2 intro comes on!! [​IMG] Reminds me of the fairy tale of the three blind mice, just they wouldn't be blind. Chris
    ------------------
    Star Wars: http://www.ig88-.net[​IMG]

8. John M Miller

John M Miller Stunt Coordinator

quote: perhaps it's some sort of punishment from the HomeTheater Gods for talking smack about Criterion?[/quote]
    [​IMG]
    Actually, I already tried blasting Toy Story 2 and nothing happened. I think the quarters in the bed analogy is an accurate one.
    Another problem is that I live in an apartment, so long periods of bass would not go unnoticed.
    Shit.
    ------------------
    Fellini's Le Notti di Cabiria
    [​IMG]
    [Edited last by John M Miller on October 04, 2001 at 04:13 PM]

9. Chris Maynard

Chris Maynard Supporting Actor

Set U571 on the DTS track and run an endless loop of the depth charge scene at reference for 2 hours. Make sure to keep a fan on the amp.
    If that doesn't collapse their tiny skulls at least they will be deaf.
    [​IMG]

10. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

Mice only hear at the oposite end of the spectrum so a loud sub would be felt but not really heard. Since the mouse is well hidden the vibrations only cause the lil critter to freeze in place. When all is quiet he will muster up enough courage to venture out again. Place two traps against the wall on oposite sides of the sub and you should get him.

11. Steve Schick

Steve Schick Stunt Coordinator

reminds me of the time my snake got loose from its cage and crawled into the port of my Infinity speakers (SM112 ?)
    ------------------
    You liked the movie? ......Try it on a nine foot screen.
    My DVD Profiler Collection

12. Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey Second Unit

Lee Bailey
  13. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

John,
    Rat poison kills by drying them up. They will not stink. They turn into piles of fur with little feet.
    How about a cat?
    Keep those ports covered!
    Thank you for the laugh John, these days I sure can use them. Not laughing at you, my cats love chasing mice around. I think they have one as a pet that they bring out to kick around the hall way every once in a while. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Joe C.
    [SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Arial"][/SIZE]Who's scruffy looking?

14. Kevin_W

Kevin_W Second Unit

Lee is right... peanut butter is the key. Put a good helping in a mouse trap just outside the speakers port, and I'll bet you get your self a mouse that night.
    I had a whole family of mice in my house that were getting in through a hole in the garage... got all eight of them in 3 days with peanut butter.
    Good Luck!
    Kevin

15. Chris Eriksen

Chris Eriksen Stunt Coordinator

Do you know anyone who owns a ferret? [​IMG] Borrow it for a day, and your entire house will be mouse-free.
    For traps, I agree that peanut butter works best.

16. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I like the very direct approach. Take the sub outside and remove the driver, then go in and find the mouse and remove it from the insulation.
    Rent a copy of Mousehunt to get more ideas.
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1[​IMG]
    ------------------
    My Favourite Movie

17. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Yeah, get Christopher Walken to come sample the droppings to tell you more about the mice in there! [​IMG]
    The U571 trick is the best though, but if they hear the opposite end of the spectrum than us....what is a movie with REALLY HIGH frequencies? To scare the little buggers out
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

18. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    well the sub wont play really high freq's because it's a subwoofer. i find this a pretty bad situation (and also funny)! the only help i can offer is to maybe get a dog whistle and blow really loud. that might work.
    good luck man!! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    -Thomas
    Click here to visit my webpage.

19. Jason Watson

Jason Watson Stunt Coordinator

I could come over and let one of my monitor lizards crawl inside the sub. There would be no escape for the mice. I never feed live rodents to my lizards but after seeing what they do to thawed,frozen mice, I can only imagine what kind of mess it would make in your sub though. For an image of that, watch the T-Rex in Jurassic Park do the prey-shake routine. Smaller scale but its pretty close to the same kind of thing!
    Jason

20. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Peanut butter for Glue traps, and pound the hell out of the sub. I had two in my car and I turned up the 2 15 inch subs and I rocked the house and one came running out. I saw the second one while I was on the road and I decided that I would wait until I parked he car at work, get a glue trap and some peanut butter and wait for a half hour and he was there in a half hour. I feel you pal, pound the hell out of them and force them into the traps.
    ------------------
    If loving Home Theater is
    wrong, I don't want to be
    right!!!