Mice balls

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    No, not those mouse balls!
    Did Microsoft change the weight/surface of the balls their mice use recently? I just got a new Dell PC at work and the new mouse that came with it just plain stinks. It's a black Intellimouse Wheel and has a logo "DELL by microsoft" on it and the ball just slips and it's horrible. I just replaced it with a ball from an old Microsoft Mouse (no wheel) and it seems much better. The old ball is darker gray and sticks much better to my mousepad than the new one. Either it is slightly heavier than the new ones or the surface texture is much better. Is it me or the new MS balls just stink? Perhaps it's Dell but it is obviously made by MS for Dell. I prefer Logitech anyway and have one at home.
    I sneakily switched the balls and will return the old MS mouse back to the lab... Shhhh, don't tell CSC our IT folks cause they will have a hairball if they find I moved equipment without an equipment transfer.... Bwwaaaahahahahahahahaha... Rebel am I! [​IMG]
    Jay

2. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I hadn't realized that they weren't exclusively optical now. Maybe that's the plan is to make crappier ball mice to drive people to buy the optical products.

I'll stick with my logitech trackman marble+ though. Lasted longer than ANY mouse I've ever seen (4 years now) and incredibly comfortable to use (especially with limited desk space).

3. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Maybe the Dell Microsoft Mouse is the same as the $10 OEM mouse available with most new computers, but your old Microsoft Mouse was the $50 retail version? The OEM Microsoft Mouse has always had a cheaper build quality. The retail version was ivory with a glossy finish and actually weighed more than the OEM version which was off-white with a plain plastic matte finish. I wouldn't be surprised if an OEM mouse ball is just a rubber ball while the retail mouse ball is a steel ball surrounded by rubber to give it more weight.

4. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

5. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I'm addicted to optical mice...

6. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

I've been using trackballs instead of mice for years. I have three Trackman Marbles. One at work, one for the home desktop, and a cordless for the laptop. I use the flat looking one that fits the palm of the hand, with a jawbreaker sized ball under the thumb and three mouse-style buttons. Not the one with the huge ball in the center. Before the Trackman Marble, I had the original Trackman which was slightly less ergonomic and looked like a nautilus shell.

7. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

Cordless & Optical is the way to go. No worries about a dirty mouse ball or the darn cord getting in the way. I really love my logitech cordless freedom setup...

8. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

On the down side, I hear they gobble batteries.
    Personally, I just detest the way a product that used to work is eventually made less well, and reaches a point of dysfunctionality ...
    Whatever happened to Voice Character Recognition [​IMG]

9. Will Pomeroy

Will Pomeroy Stunt Coordinator

Ha... CSC... ahh the memories...

Do you work for GM?

10. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

Add me to optical wireless anonymous.

11. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I would use an optical one but it's not like we get a choice in the matter and it's not as big a deal for me to bitch and moan to management about. I'm much more pissed off at the copiers that are networked as the printers. What a mistake that is/was!!!

Anyway, with the old mouse ball, the mouse is now fine.

I don't work for GM, but I work for what used to be British Aerospace of what is now BAE Systems.

CSC at least sponsors a pro cycling team, along with Tiscali so I'll credit them that much...

Jay

12. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I recently upgraded to my first optical mouse (The wired mouse-wheel optical form MS), and its awesome... I couldnt afford wireless :p)

13. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

They need to make a cordless optical mouse that is plug-in rechargeable, instead of using batteries...

14. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So