Miami Vice--Seasons 1+2 Singled Sided Discs

Coligion

Auditioning
Real Name
Corey
So, it would seem Universal has slowly been coming around by re-releasing some of their double-sided discs with single-sided variants. My favorite Universal release, Magnum, p.i., suffered this same issue with seasons 1-4. Miami Vice was originally on double-sided discs for seasons 1 and 2, and then Universal properly switched over to singles for seasons 3-5.
A while back, I had heard that Universal quietly re-released both seasons 1 and 2 of Miami Vice on single-sided discs. Unfortunately for me, I had already picked up all five seasons individually. I know the box set had all the seasons on single-sided discs, but I really did not want to have to buy that expensive set just for the two seasons I was missing. Anyway, I did, in fact, find season 1 at Target that was a 6-discs DVD set, instead of the 3 double-sided discs. Sadly, the packing is almost identical (slightly wider), and the back of the box still claims it is a 3-disc set. For me, the easiest way to tell the difference between sets was to inspect the top of the box by looking for indentations made by the placement of the disc holders: On the double-sided release, the top is perfectly flat; the single-sided release has those indentations mentioned in the center. Anyway, that is how I can easily identify them, and the latter seasons (3-5) also share this characteristic.
So, to get back my my original intent, I can not for the life of me find a single-sided release of the season 2! Target seems to be one of the few stores that still stocks seasons 1 and 2 of this show, but I can never locate the 6-disc set. They always have plenty of 6-disc first season sets, but I have never come across seasons 2 this way. I wanted to know if anyone on this board was lucky enough to find an individual release of season 2 that was not double-sided? I've read on various sites where people have surely claimed both seasons were re-released this way, but I have not been fortunate to find anything other than season 1.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Thanks for the tip about the single sided. Went to BJs Club and they had the 6 Disc Season One Miami Vice. The Second season copies looked to be the same 3 disc flippers since the box wasn't as thick.

Coligion

Auditioning
Real Name
Corey
Corey3rd said:
Thanks for the tip about the single sided. Went to BJs Club and they had the 6 Disc Season One Miami Vice. The Second season copies looked to be the same 3 disc flippers since the box wasn't as thick.
Yeah, I have had zero luck finding a standalone release of season 2 in the 6 disc format. As I said in my initial post, I'm beginning to doubt they exist :huh:.

Coligion

Auditioning
Real Name
Corey
Looking back, I wish I would of had the foresight to just buy the complete collection. Thankfully, that was released with all single-sided discs and solved the error -prone issues with the DVD-18 format. Then, I wouldn't be on this egg hunt trying to locate a six-disc set. I keep thinking most stores must be pushing old copies in the 3-disc format to clear stock, but I can usually always come across several season 1 releases in the six-disc sets interspersed with the old release on the shelf...

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The season 2 set of Miami Vice of dvd18 flipper discs was the most annoying for me.
In particular, disc 3 would not play properly on any of my standalone dvd players, and wouldn't rip on my default computer dvd-rom drive. (My default dvd-rom drive would not play at speeds lower than 4x speed).
The only way I was able to rip disc 3 of season 2, was to find an older dvd-rom drive which played at speeds lower than 4x speed. Awhile ago I found such an older dvd-rom drive at a thrift shop for $4, which turned out to be able to play at lower than 4x speeds. This older LG dvd-rom drive was able to successfully rip disc 3 without any major problems.
Every time I come across a basketcase dvd disc which won't rip on my default dvd-rom drive, but which also has no visible defects to the naked human eye (ie. no scratches, warping, etc ...), such disks are almost always ripable on this older LG dvd-rom drive at speeds lower than 4x speed.
Nevertheless, if I do come across these single sided versions of seasons 1 and 2 of Miami Vice, I will certainly buy them.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Coligion said:
Looking back, I wish I would of had the foresight to just buy the complete collection. Thankfully, that was released with all single-sided discs and solved the error -prone issues with the DVD-18 format. Then, I wouldn't be on this egg hunt trying to locate a six-disc set. I keep thinking most stores must be pushing old copies in the 3-disc format to clear stock, but I can usually always come across several season 1 releases in the six-disc sets interspersed with the old release on the shelf...
Perhaps this "hypothetical" 6-disc single sided disks set of Miami Vice season 2 may be coming soon?
Recently I have noticed this season 2 MV set of flipper discs, has been massively dumped into the bargain bins at a local pharmacy chain store for around $7 or $8 a pop. At these particular local stores, there's usually around 5 or 6 copies of this season 2 MV flipper disk set per store.
(At least judging by the criteria outlined in the OP, distinguishing between the flipper and single sided disk versions).
Just wondering. How long ago did you first come across this 6-disc single sided MV season 1 set?

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
I was able to find a Season 2 single sided set at Best Buy - they also had a flipper set next to it. Both were $9.99.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I found the season 1 dvd sets as single sided and fipper discs, both in the same bargain bin.

The one major distinguishing difference I noticed from casual inspection, was that the catalog number on the spine (of the packaging) of the single sided discs version had a "601" prefix added to the catalog number of the flipper discs version. (In addition to the single sided version having slightly thicker packaging). So the single sided dvd version had "60127169" on the spine, while the flipper discs version had "27169" on the spine.

(The single sided version of the season 2 dvd season set appears to also have a "601" prefix added too).

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GabeBillings