What's new

Miami Vice on DVD and the Big Screen (1 Viewer)

DanHaya

Second Unit
I just heard the other day that Michael Mann has signed a deal to write (and perhaps direct) a big screen version of "Miami Vice". Although it wasn't confirmed, the article I read indicated that it would likely be a totally different cast...no Crockett or Tubbs (rather, at least no Don Johnson or Philip Michael Thomas).

This news really started me thinking about the show that I used to watch religiously as a kid back in the 80's. Although I do catch an occasional episode on TNN, I really haven't follwed it since the show went off the air. I know that Columbia House tried to put the series on VHS, but it didn't sell very well and they only released the first 20 episodes. And what's more, from what I've heard, some of the episodes were altered slightly from the original broadcasts.

I'd love to hear from other Miami Vice fans out there what their interest would be in having the series on DVD and what thoughts you might have on the possibility of a movie adaptation without the original cast. Personally, I would love to have the series on DVD, but I would not be in favor of a movie without the original cast.

Ok, that's my take...fire away!

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Dang it! From your subject, I thought you were posting an announcement of MV coming on DVD.

Anyway, I really hope Mann directs the movie. Without his unique style, I don't think it will work.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I would definately buy Miami Vice on DVD. It was one of my favorite shows when I was a teenager back in the 80's. I'd love to see complete season box sets like the X-Files and Star Trek: TNG sets that I have been buying religiously.
I just read yesterday about the Miami Vice feature film. I would really enjoy seeing that.
'Ali' Helmer Will Investigate Big Screen With 'Miami Vice'
On a side note, I just discovered that the complete Jan Hammer Miami Vice music collection 2 CD set is availalbe on his web site. I think I'll be ordering a copy. It will be available in stores on 7/9/02
http://www.janhammer.com/

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Universal has released two volumes of this IN REGION 2:
miami_vice_DVDvol1_781982s.gif

1. Pilot episode
2. The Golden Triangle Pt 1
3. The Golden Triangle Pt 2
Cat no: 781982
Released: 9th April 2001
Miami_Vice_DVDVol2_0785062s.gif

1. Florence Italy
2. Return of CalderonPt 1
3. Return of Calderon Pt 2
Cat no: 0785062
Released: 1st October 2001
Before they get product like this out in the USA, though, I'm sure they are MUCH more likely to visit series like Battlestar Galactica (since TNG and Star Wars are so hot right now, and R4 is planning on doing a complete-series set, and a new BG series or film is planned - even though that road is pretty rocky), Xena (since the Final Episode release was a decent hit, although I'm not sure it was nearly as big as they hoped), or The Incredible Hulk (since superheros are hot right now, and the Hulk feature film is on-the-way).
If you see Universal hitting with any of those TV series, THEN you can start working on 'em for MV, in my opinion. I doubt they start with Crockett & Tubbs, even given the hotness of 80's-retro these days. :D
Perhaps a better route for an R1 release of this series would be to use the same method as My So-Called Life. Ask Jason Rosenberg of Grass Roots Productions (who is an HTF member) to look into it as a niche product advanced-sale situation. If you want, I can ask him to check on this thread. You never know...

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I also thought you were going to give us a release date for this. I love Miami Vice. I hope this does come to dvd one of these days.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
If it's Miami Vice without Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas, why even call it "Miami Vice"? How about "new cop movie set in Miami"?

DanHaya

Second Unit
Sorry for the confusion, guys. This was my first attempt at starting a thread here. I was just kinda curious as to how much interest there is in the series, especially with a movie now in the works.

I've always been curious as to how much interest there is in owning entire tv series on video or DVD. I know that Columbia House has been peddling old tv series on video for many years. I, myself, bought the entire run of TNG back in the early 90's. Unfortunately, it wasn't a very good investment because I found myself not viewing them very often because the shows were being rerun in syndication all the time...and with the DVDs coming out, I felt a need to get rid of the 87 VHS tapes I had of TNG. My initial investment of about $2,000 netted me only $400! Almost as bad as the stock market! lol

I'd be very curious to know how well those series are selling for CH. I know "Vice" didn't sell very well, which is why they only put out 20 episodes. But is there enough interest in "Vice" to get Universal's attention? That's what I'd love to find out.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I'd love to get this show on DVD. It has got to be one of my favorite shows of all time.I could see though a lot of problems getting clearance for the music though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks