Mi Casa Studios Mixing The Mask In DTS-ES

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Maggi Magg, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Maggi Magg

Maggi Magg Stunt Coordinator

2. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

SWWWEEEET!

3. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

Finally...I've asked about this at two previous New Line chats, and now with the looming release of the horrible looking sequel, I'll finally get it. Thank goodness I never bowed down to temptation and got the DTS LD (though it will likely still sound better than this).

4. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

They did an amazing job with Running Man. That movie sounded like it was recorded yesterday.

5. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Nice... so we can expect The Mask SE sometime soon then? It was a fun flick, wouldn't mind to add it to the collection.

6. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I own the DTS laser, and I can say that it has incredible sound. There are several scenes where the sound is scary powerful. And the image quality is very good too, one of the best looking lasers I have. If the DTS DVD sound is anywhere close to the DTS laser, it will be quite a treat.

7. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

The Cameron Diaz/Jim Carrey/Big Bad Voodoo Daddy dance scene in DTS?!

[​IMG]

8. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Mi Casa doesn't impress me. Their technique is to juice the levels and change the dynamics of the original soundtrack, the same kind of misguided philosophy that plagues CD mastering in the music industry, and they're proud of it. You can be sure the soundtrack is going to be loud and boomy.

9. Ryan Wong

Ryan Wong Stunt Coordinator

I love this movie. bring it on.

10. Roger J

Roger J Stunt Coordinator

Exactly. Mi Casa very nearly ruined the first release of "Fellowship of the Ring". It seemed almost obvious that "The Two Towers" was remixed with a bit more subtlty, I would surmise at the direction of New Line, or perhaps the filmmakers themselves.

I find it ironic that people will get in line to deride George Lucas for changing his own movies, yet these very same people stand up and cheer when an outside company very nearly changes the basic character of a film's soundtrack.

11. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Supporting Actor

Finally, The Mask is gonna get a decent R1 release! There are a few good versions here and there (the UK DVD is anamorphic, and I spotted a dts R2 edition while in Amsterdam), but it's the R1 version that's in the worst shape. I'll definitely be picking this up when it eventually appears. Hopefully New Line will release it to promote the theatrical release of the new Mask movie, instead of waiting for the sequel to hit home video.

12. Gary Nash

Gary Nash Agent

I've dropped an email to Mi Casa enquiring whether their supplements will include the excellent 'Sound Studio' from the 1995 cd-rom 'Behind the Mask'.
    This had an interactive breakdown of the 'apartment tornado' sequence allowing each individual sound element to be played back against video of the scene. Optional commentary for each element described the methods. You could then select the various mixes with foley, effects, dialogue, music and then the final scene.

This was a very impressive feature, despite the poor video quality.
    The disk also included many features that were missing from the DTS laserdisc special edition. Interactive storyboards with links to video and audio interview segments, photogalleries and deleted scenes.

Now if the new DVD could include some of these features we would definitely be 'SSSSMOKIN'