What's new

MI-5 Discussion (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I think I read in this thread that the show is about 10 minutes shorter in the US shown episodes to allow for commercials. I think all the cuts were done with the blessing of the shows producers.

John Watson

Screenwriter
More people killed on Tom's watch :frowning:

Tess is back, but as ultra-corrupt :frowning:

Is Tom going to be another spy who goes "out into the cold"?

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone catch last night's episode. Another great cliff-hanger. Does anyone know about A & E showing the next season's shows. I read in the A & E discussion board that there is some concern that A & E might not show the next season. I hope that is not true. I have become hooked on this show.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Just watched the tape from last night. Difficult episode to follow, was anything a development from earlier episodes we might not have seen?

The plot was pretty convoluted. At the end was Tom apprehended, or will he return next season to track down Joyce and clear his name?

I'll try and find the A&E discussion for insight.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I finally watch the season 2 cliffhanger and I am looking forward to season 3 although it appears that it hasn't even been shot yet, so I guess current viewers of the A&E version of "Spooks" are now caught up with the rest of Britain.

I knew Christina was going to be trouble, just not this much trouble.

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Pretty gutsy move... Having the lead kill off the secondary lead and then (possibly) himself, leaving the supporting cast to take over...
I just couldn't believe it when I watched it oh so many months ago.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Mark, I don't think that is a spoiler, as we saw it last week.

Anyway, I've read suggestions that Tom is just going deep undercover, or perhaps Harry has engineered that without Tom's knowledge. Another threat to world peace?

Anyway the good news is that the series (or the first season) apparently comes to DVD in Canada in January, and I think it must be even better with the missing 10 minutes that A&E hacked out.:)

John Watson

Screenwriter
MI 5 Picked up the DVD (6 eps on 3 disks) set a few weeks ago, and we've watched 4 of the 6 eps so far. They are widescreen, and about 10 minutes longer than A&E's broadcast versions. Its hard to understand how we could have followed the broadcast episodes, as there is NO filler in the 60 minute versions, and their plots are fast and furious with twists and cuts at that.

As for the colour and clarity, the DVD's are superb compared to the lousy cable tv signals.

The opening menu is pretty irritating, tho I quickly learned to go past most of it.

It's tempting to compare it to 24 for "realism" , and say that its a lot sharper and hard edged than 24. There's a hint of Spy-who-came-in-from-the-cold climate in MI 5 - people's motives are very mixed. It has absolutely nothing in common with Alias, tho there is a certain disregard for real time believability and a little bit of a sense that the same 4 people do all MI 5's work.

We hadn't seen the first episode before (about an American anti-abortionist making plans for hits in the UK) , and if it had been the first one, wouldn't have thought so much of the program initially. By the 3rd episode you're hooked.

I hope the second season will be as intense.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I read an article in my local newspaper that A & E will be showing the next season of this great series. It will probably be late this year since the series has just started filming in England. Please forgive me if that has been brought up recently. I wasn't able to do a search on just MI-5.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Anyway, I've read suggestions that Tom is just going deep undercover, or perhaps Harry has engineered that without Tom's knowledge. Another threat to world peace?
That just might be the case because according to the article, Tom will be back for the next season. There is a new actor, but I'm not sure if he is replacing anyone. Thanks for merging my thread into this.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
MI-5 was my favorite show of 2003. Great show. I still need to buy the DVD set of the first six episodes (SPOOKS season one). I just wish BBC AMERICA would release WAKING THE DEAD to DVD.

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I was hoping that A&E would be picking this show up for the third season. I would have hated to see it dropped just as Tom is trouble with the agency.

Between MI-5 and Keen Eddy I am really liking the shows that they have picked up on A&E and Bravo for the US market. Good stuff.

Parker

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
Any idea when season two will be out on DVD? I think I will wait for than rather then watched the shortend versions on TV.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
BBC will air season 3 this fall and A&E will start season 3 in early 2005. Season 2 will see DVD release in the UK around the time season 3 starts airing, but no news on a date for the North America release of the season 2 DVD.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I was just the A&E website and they have the new season scheduled to start on Saturday January 9th, 2005 at 10/9 pm ET/CT

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
No, BBC America doesn't have the rights to MI-5. A&E has the rights to air the show in the USA. They're waiting for Jan 2005 because they don't want to go up against the Fall programming by the Big networks (but I think A&E should air it on Saturday anytime since Saturday programming has sucked for years on any channel).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks