MI-5 Discussion (MERGED THREAD)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Patrick Sun, Jul 21, 2003.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Just a heads up for folks who might find the British take on counter-terrorism (a la "24") compelling to watch. What I've read about the show seems pretty positive, so I'm giving it a shot.

The first episode for US consumption is on the A&E channel on Tuesday (7/22/03) 9 p.m. EST (normal timeslot will be 10 p.m. EST).

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

3. DeborahK

DeborahK Supporting Actor

Thanks for the reminder, Patrick. I am definitely going to give this one a try.

Deborah

4. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

I thought it was just okay, the ending really kept it from being mediocre (I was getting this huge Ultraviolet vibe from it though... very similar in mood and music). I really like the Zoe character and Tom/Matthew looks interesting enough. I couldn't figure out where I had seen the actor playing the boss until I looked him up on the IMDB and saw that he played Victor on That's Life. It's a very small world after all.

With only 12 episodes (the last episode of the second British series aired last week on the BBC), I wonder how A&E plans on sustaining American interest.

5. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I discovered this show "Spooks" in a magazine a few weeks ago because it was coming out on DVD in the UK so I started doing research on it and then low and behold it showed up as an import renamed MI-5.

I taped last nights episode but I am going to check it out.
    I hear its very good.

6. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    I thought it was decent, if a bit straightforward and simple. I will probably give episode 2 a go.

Take care,
    Chuck

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

OMG! Sienna Miller in 2 shows in one week! She plays the blonde secretary-ish role in MI-5, and she plays Fiona on Keen Eddie.

Enjoyed the first episode, but it did feel like there was major snippage of the episode (over 12 minutes from the original episode).

8. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

In the regular cast? Sienna is not listed. Are you thinking of the character played by Shauna Macdonald?

//Ken

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I really thought that Sienna was the secretary, and in the previews for next week's episode, she's the one that gets "married" to Tom in an undercover gig, and then the mision goes bad, it would seem.

10. Christopher D

Christopher D Second Unit

The first episode is a little slow -- it gets *much* better.

11. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Okay, went back and took a closer look at the blonde secretary in the preview, and it's not Sienna Miller, but someone who looks very very very similar. I chalk it up to my not-so-great cable TV feed and my ReplayTV in Extended recording mode. [​IMG]

12. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

So Patrick, about that actress you thought was Sienna Miller too bad, huh
    . After I watched the show, I did a little more research and found out that her name is Lisa Faulkner.

Decent ep. How much are they cutting from each episode? Seems like something was missing after the guy asked his wife to undress.

//Ken

13. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

And how about that ruthless deep-frying. And while I'm at it, that Tom (Matthew) has really got himself in a sticky wicket, eh wot? Move in together?!? How's that going to fly with the higher-ups??
    Cheers.

DS.

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Yeah, I figured out that it wasn't Sienna Miller that would be on this week's episode of MI-5, but she did look a bit like her (though not as cute).

I liked the show of consequences when agents get compromised in their line of work. They do a good job of painting the villains as being nasty people that need to be taken down and taken down hard.

Liking the show so far after these 2 episodes.

15. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

No, she wasn't as cute, but she still looked good to me.

Too bad we didn't get to see the henchman that pulled the trigger get "erased" too. But I did like the economy of what we did see.

Between the lingo, the accents, and maybe even bits cut out for time, I have to pay a little more attention (or even fill in some gaps) to follow what's going on.

You figure MI5 must have some policy for letting civilians in on their true identity. I thought they mentioned something about it in the first ep. The extra problem for Tom is that he has led her and her daughter on for quite some time.

//Ken

16. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

MI 5 Is anyone watching this British Intelligence Services drama? (We're seeing it on A&E.)

It's got that gritty British look (contrasting with colorful California in 24) and everyone is dirty (Corrupt). Half the agents are fiddling their expense accounts, they are totally amoral (they are protecting British society against ruthless terrorists, while indulging in assassination, expense account fraud, etc.)

Last night, our friend Giles from BVS plays an agent who crosses over to the terrorist side.

The program seems to throw highly some unbelievable sub-plots into the mix, like the Kim nonsense on 24. Last night, the "lead" character, a sad-sack "sensitive new age agent" type, tells his girlfriend's daughter he's a spy, because, get this, the girl friend doesn't want her daughter lied to like her father did!

One of the agents is suspiciously like Helen Mirren in Prime Suspect, all the stereotypes of Brit society are there.

I wasn't quite sure what happened in the resolution last night : did the Giles character sabotage his terrorist friend's plan to crash the President's plane?

17. Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams Supporting Actor

18. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

I'm not sure if the ATC system shutdown because of the changes, or if it shutdown for entirely unrelated reasons; i.e. although whatshisname did figure it out in time, they got lucky anyway. It is convenient, so they don't have to have scenes with them trying to report and undo the damage. The show just ends.

I like the show, but apparently they cut like ten minutes from each episode so it will fit in the commercial hour, and things seem a bit jumpy.

The one that looks like Helen Mirren is Jenny Agutter, perhaps best known on this side for playing Jessica in the movie Logan's Run. And while she's playing with the expense account, and has gotten whatshername to take the money, and whatshisname was fiddling with his credit rating, that's only a majority that are dirty, not everyone [​IMG]

The assassination from a couple of episode was not an indulgence, it was them taking care of their own -- and quite justified.

And Tom telling the girlfriend and daughter that he's a spy: I dunno, what is the official policy of the Security Service? Agents can't have families? This doesn't stoop to mountain lion territory.

//Ken

19. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Didn't mean to start a duplicate thread, so glad my post got merged. (I seem to remember looking up MI 5 on Search and got nothing, now that's a clandestine organization![​IMG] )

Thanks for the insights. Coincidentally, I just picked up Logan's Run a few days ago, so I will keep an eye out for that actress.

I figured that the agent (Giles=Head?) who turned to the terrorists killed himself so that MI 5 would not get closer to the Green plot, and he would have redeemed himself for his life serving the society he came to loathe.

On keeping secret identities, there was an old cartoon, decades ago, with a pair of old folks in their easy chairs, reading newspapers, and the man has apparently confessed to his wife that he had been a communist, and his wife looks over her paper, and says "Of course, dear, I knew that! Why do you think I married you? I'm with the FBI"[​IMG]

On the jumpiness, yes, is it clever "economy" of writing, or commercials being squeezed in? Being A&E, the series may get rerun soon, so maybe I'll get a second chance to understand it better.

20. Britney Fransen

Britney Fransen Auditioning