What's new

MI:2 and Matrix sound problems (1 Viewer)

Leif Wall

Second Unit
I got Mission Impossible 2 for Christmas and when watching it I noticed that there was no bass whatsoever. Dissapointing to me since I love bass. Everything else of the 5.1 track was great, just no low end. My setup was configured right as I watched Almost Famous after MI:2 and it sounded most excellent.

Now with the Matrix which I bought back in November '99 and finally watching it after getting a sub there is a huge problem. During the lobby shootout the music only comes out of the sub, not the 3 front channels, only effects come out of those. It sounds really annoying and distracting. The same thing happens at the end of the movie during the Rage Against the Machine song. Again everything was configured properly.

My equipment:

Pioneer VSX-D608 dd/dts receiver

Polk Audio RT55 fronts

Polk Audio CS400 center

Polk Audio RT35 rears

JBL PB12 sub

Sony S530D dvd player

All speakers are set to small with the sub on using the line level out on the receiver. Could this be an equipment or a disc issue? I'm about to upgrade to a Yamaha HTR-5490 and either an SVS 16-46cs or 20-39cs with that Parts Express 250 watt amp.

Tom Oh

Second Unit
Leif, i'm no expert but it sounds like you have something wrong with your set-up. For MI:2, I'm not sure if the default audio setting is DPL or DD 5.1. You might want to try again and change the audio setting on the menu. You are also much better off asking this question on Hardware section of the Forum. Also, Almost Famous is probably not the best disc to test out your sub. Good luck.

FredHD

Stunt Coordinator
Also, Almost Famous is probably not the best disc to test out your sub.
Tom, Maybe you should crack open your copy of Almost Famous to the plane scene near then end and watch it again. It gave my sub a stern workout.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Could this be an equipment or a disc issue?
It has to be an equipment issue, because these aren't the kinds of problems that would affect an individual disc, and I haven't seen similar reports with these best-selling titles. If a problem is widespread, someone always posts it here.

Even though you think everything is configured correctly, I'd suggest reviewing you configuration from scratch. Things to look at include:

1. are the channels correctly balanced with an SPL meter?

2. if there's a selectable crossover setting, is it set at the right level for your speakers?

3. is the digital connection (optical or coax) between the DVD player and the receiver sound?

4. are the delay settings correct for the room and the speakers placement?

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks