What's new

MGM's upcoming Death Wish 2,3 & 4... full frame only?! (1 Viewer)

Ash Atchison

Agent
According to dvdmaniacs, these will be full frame only while 4 (for some ungodly reason) will have the option of both full and anamorphic widescreen.

I mean, 2 was a decent sequel and 3 was a beautiful exercise in over-the-top 80's action hilarity, but only the terrible 4 gets the wide transfer? Oh, the heavens weep at such tragedies.

Matt_P

Second Unit
This seems suspect to me. Why would they only release one anamorphic??? I wonder if dvdmaniacs' info is incomplete.

Well said...the heavens should weep at the idea that these landmark pieces of Bronsonian cinematic mastery will go panned and scanned only. Let's hope the powers that be intervene.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
According to www.dvdfile.com

MGM has also announced the full specs for their lineup of great 80's B-movie gems, also due on the 10th. The late Charles Bronson returns as the perpetually pissed-off Paul Kersey in Death Wish 2, Death Wish 3 and Death Wish 4: The Crackdown, along with the action-fest Roadhouse 66. Alas, all are receiving the full frame-only treatment sans extras aside from trailers.
So part 4 is FF only as well.

Brett C

Second Unit
Oh well, my money will be spent on an overseas 16/9 version of Death Wish 2. I won't be buying the local product if its an inferior release...

Will K

Screenwriter
Dammit! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: I don't f'ing believe this.

No taco-flavored kisses for you, MGM. Dammit!

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
MGM's press release for Death Wish 2 includes odd language that makes me wonder if it will actually have both a pan-and-scan presentation and a non-anamorphic widescreen presentation:

Technical Information:
Screen Format:
STANDARD VERSION (logo) (for pan/scan)
Modified to fit your screen.

STANDARD VERSION (logo) (for full frame)
Theatrical release format.
The press releases for 3 and 4 have just the first part.

"Theatrical release format" on an MGM disc typically means some kind of widescreen presentation.

Hal D

Grip
Does anyone know if Death Wish 2 is the unedited unrated version with all of the unpleasant violence intact?

JimChan

Stunt Coordinator
my money will be spent on an overseas 16/9 version of Death Wish 2
DW2 was released in HK R3 by Columbia Tristar, also in full screen version (not sure if full frame or P&S). That version does include additional (sex) violence scenes not found in earlier VHS releases.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
So, where can I get a widescreen, unedited (92 or 95 minute cut), NTSC version of part 2?

I know there is a R4 fullscreen uncut DVD, and I think there is an uncut widescreen PAL from R2, but don't know where I can find part 2 in widescreen and uncut for NTSC...

-V

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I was really looking forward to Part 3, my favorite of the series. This is fucking ridiculous! :angry:

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
MGM, You will get NO SALE from me. Death Wish 2 & 3 must be presented on DVD in OAR. Since you can't get it into you head that these movies must be presented on DVD in OAR, I will give you none of my money for these movies. I love the Death Wish movies but I will not purchase them unless they are on DVD in OAR.

NO OAR=NO SALE.

Widescreen is outselling Fullscreen but it seems that the people running MGM can't get it into their heads to relese theatrical movies in OAR. MGM seems to be going in the wrong direction.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Well, it's always nice when my purchasing decisions are made for me. And the decision here was, "No, we don't want your money, Mark. It's dirty, filthy money, who knows where it's been, and we insist you give it to Fox or Paramount." ;) Okay, will do!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks