MGM's Distribution Deal with Fox has expired with Warner taking over! See Post#74

MGM's Distribution Deal has moved from Fox to Warner! See Post#74

• Warner Bros.

Votes: 26 50.0%
  • Sony

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Universal

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • None; they need to stay at Fox.

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • None; they need to stay at Fox/Disney.

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Fox/Disney (for some titles)

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Shout/Criterion/Kino/etc.

Votes: 19 36.5%

• Total voters
Real Name
F
Do you guys know that in addition to the pre-May 1986 MGM library, Warner Bros. also owns most of the pre-October 1982 Orion Pictures movies after originally distributing those movies and select rights to a few Cannon movies and handled international home video distribution for United Artists and Cannon in the 1980s to the early 1990s, and that MGM owns the home media rights to the pre-July 1994 Castle Rock library?

On a side note, another thing about this Warner Bros./Universal distribution venture is that it looks like the two partnering studios will now have three smaller studios who previously had distribution deals with Fox prior to the Disney acquisition. For instance, Universal acquired DreamWorks Animation in 2016 (even though they didn't start distributing their product until 2018) and later made distribution deals with Entertainment One in 2019, and now Warners is nearing a home media distribution deal with MGM, so this means that DreamWorks, eOne and MGM will finally be under one umbrella again in the future, except instead a single studio like Fox, it'll be through a distribution partnership between two major studios like Universal and Warners. Does that make sense to you?

Last edited:
Real Name
F
MGM just reported their Q2 2020 earnings results on their website today, and look what they've officially confirmed in their latest financial report.

"Through June 30, 2020, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (“Fox”), a subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company (“Disney”), provided our physical home entertainment distribution on a worldwide basis (excluding certain territories) for a substantial number of our feature films and television series, including Spectre, Skyfall, Death Wish, RoboCop, Child’s Play, The Prodigy, Vikings, The Handmaid’s Tale, Teen Wolf and other titles. Our physical home entertainment distribution agreement with Fox expired on June 30, 2020 and on July 1, 2020, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment (“Warner Bros.”) became our physical home entertainment distributor on a worldwide basis (excluding certain territories)."

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I agree with those who say this is really not a big deal. Warner Bros. doesn't own the MGM (formerly UA/ Orion etc, films) they are just the distributor. Warner Bros. will not be restoring these films or looking for better elements. I assume it is MGM who decides what is released and when. If some end up in the Warner Archive I would assume that is done with MGM's OK. When Warner Bros. distributed Paramount films, some of them were part of the Archive. " The DVD of the "Naked Jungle" was one of the Paramount films sold thru the archive.

Sam Goldwyn catalog is confusing to me. Warner Bros, has home video rights in at least the US. MGM and or Miramax have theatrical/TV rights distribution maybe. You see one or both or neither of their logos on TV showings of the Sam Goldwyn catalog.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darby67 and ahollis
Real Name
F
I agree with those who say this is really not a big deal. Warner Bros. doesn't own the MGM (formerly UA/ Orion etc, films) they are just the distributor. Warner Bros. will not be restoring these films or looking for better elements. I assume it is MGM who decides what is released and when. If some end up in the Warner Archive I would assume that is done with MGM's OK.

Sam Goldwyn catalog is confusing to me. Warner Bros, has home video rights in at least the US. MGM and or Miramax have theatrical distribution maybe. You see one or both or neither of their logos on TV showings of the Sam Goldwyn catalog.
Miramax has international distribution rights to the Samuel Goldwyn Productions library.

Reactions: Garysb

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
How do the studios (Fox, Sony and now Warner) benefit from these deals if all they're doing is distributing physical media? Is there some kind of monetary gain (sorry if this is a silly question)? They're not acquiring content to pad their portfolios, creating extras or are involved in scanning/restoration of any of the films, so what's the catch? Just curious.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
How do the studios (Fox, Sony and now Warner) benefit from these deals if all they're doing is distributing physical media? Is there some kind of monetary gain (sorry if this is a silly question)? They're not acquiring content to pad their portfolios, creating extras or are involved in scanning/restoration of any of the films, so what's the catch? Just curious.
They most likely get a percentage of sales.

Reactions: Randy Korstick

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Maybe like the Paramount deal, Warner Bros will sell double features of their films and MGM. With Paramount, Warner released double features like "The African Queen" / "Casablanca" and "Ben Hur" /"The Ten Commandments." How about "West Side Story" / "Meet Me In St Louis":rolleyes:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
How do the studios (Fox, Sony and now Warner) benefit from these deals if all they're doing is distributing physical media?
The case of sony is actually slightly different, where Sony actually owned around 20% of MGM at the time during the mid-2000s.

Here's an old article from 2006, which goes into detail how sony messed up with mgm.

Reactions: cineMANIAC
Real Name
F
Maybe like the Paramount deal, Warner Bros will sell double features of their films and MGM. With Paramount, Warner released double features like "The African Queen" / "Casablanca" and "Ben Hur" /"The Ten Commandments." How about "West Side Story" / "Meet Me In St Louis":rolleyes:
Or "Logan's Run" / "WarGames"?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I stand to be corrected but outside of Muscle Beach Party, I don't believe any of the Beach Party movies have made it to blu ray so they're ripe for double features.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhishHead00