MGM's Distribution Deal with Fox has expired with Warner taking over! See Post#74

MGM's Distribution Deal has moved from Fox to Warner! See Post#74

• Warner Bros.

Votes: 25 49.0%
  • Sony

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Universal

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • None; they need to stay at Fox.

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • None; they need to stay at Fox/Disney.

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Fox/Disney (for some titles)

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Shout/Criterion/Kino/etc.

Votes: 18 35.3%

• Total voters

Cranston37

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
It didn't happen when Fox was the distributor so I'm not expecting it here either.
I think it's still reasonable to think that it might happen. This is a fresh deal that was signed and you never know what might have been negotiated as apart of that. It might be a case of "if you want us to grow your EST business..."

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
I think it's still reasonable to think that it might happen. This is a fresh deal that was signed and you never know what might have been negotiated as apart of that. It might be a case of "if you want us to grow your EST business..."
I don't and will wait for some kind of indication before entertaining whether these studios are that forthright in their strategic planning.

Cranston37

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
That's apparently the case as Warner is getting ready to re-release a BD box set of all the Bond movies and Rocky movies along with several other MGM titles next week. Amazon has several links of MGM titles being released by Warner on July 6th. Currently, those links are inactive, but, it's a telling sign that Warner will now be distributing MGM titles like the Bond movies going forward.
Do you have any links for these you can post?

Cranston37

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I don't and will wait for some kind of indication before entertaining whether these studios are that forthright in their strategic planning.
To be clear, I'm not holding out hope ALL of MGM will be joining MA because of this. But the MGM titles distributed by Fox were the only ones that were UV enabled, and any MGM/WB co-productions (The Hobbit) are MA, so it's my hope that THESE films might go MA...

Lord Dalek

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
That's one and it's out on Blu-ray disc. Are there others?
-A Hard Day's Night (Criterion)
-Help!
-A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum (Kino)
-Fiddler on the Roof (Fox)
-New York, New York (Fox)

Obviously UA's musical output is much smaller than MGM's because they lacked a Freed Unit style machine. But they did put out some.

DVBRD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy
I think the MGM/WB pact is just going to be another non-exclusive one and MGM will continue to license content to various distributors on a case-by-case basis. Keep in mind that there is no official announcement, other than for the upcoming titles, and they all appear to be those that were previously available through Fox, so chances are some MGM titles will become Warner Archive fodder, which means that WB could finally make the wishes of the very few asking for a copy of Winter People, A Time of Destiny, and Josh and S.A.M. come true.

Last edited:

richardburton84

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack
If this ends up being true, I hope Warner makes sure whatever MGM/UA titles released through them are up to their usual standards.

Reactions: Robin9

MatthewA

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
-A Hard Day's Night (Criterion)
-Help!
-A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum (Kino)
-Fiddler on the Roof (Fox)
-New York, New York (Fox)

Obviously UA's musical output is much smaller than MGM's because they lacked a Freed Unit style machine. But they did put out some.
There's also Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying, Man of La Mancha, Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn, and Hair which Olive just reissued.

Oh, and Yentl.

I don't think they have any actual legal claims to any of The Beatles' movies anymore. Ironically, other than Yellow Submarine, the only ones I can recall seeing released under any of UA's home video licensors (at least in the US) are Let it Be and The Compleat Beatles.

UA wasn't really a studio as much as it was a distribution company. They didn't own soundstages or have exclusive contracts with stars the way the major studios did. All their musicals were the result of deals with producers whether they be Walter Shenson, the Broccolis, Arthur P. Jacobs (who died during production of Richard and Robert Sherman's Huckleberry Finn musical), Walter Mirisch, or whoever.

Last edited:

DVBRD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy
I don't think they have any actual legal claims to any of The Beatles' movies anymore. Ironically, other than Yellow Submarine, the only ones I can recall seeing released under any of UA's home video licensors (at least in the US) are Let it Be and The Compleat Beatles.
Well, Yellow Submarine is no longer under UA's control, either, so that doesn't give me any expectation that MGM will release or license the other titles.

Real Name
F
So the new Warner Bros. re-releases (or reprints) of the MGM titles on Blu-ray and DVD are in stock on Amazon now, but there's still no official announcement on the deal yet. I wonder if they might just be repackaged re-releases of the titles, and the back of each cover now has a white notice box in the corner saying the text "Distributed by Warner Bros. Home Entertainment" with the company's address underneath it and the WB Shield next to it, just like what some of the WB reprints of the Paramount titles back in 2013-2015 used to have, but that's a good start.

Last edited:
Reactions: Osato

darkrock17

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Oh god no. WB is already one of the worst monopolies around. Owning all of MGM is just going to be 1000 times worse if this is true.

Real Name
F
Oh god no. WB is already one of the worst monopolies around. Owning all of MGM is just going to be 1000 times worse if this is true.
This is meant to be a test for the deal, but if the re-released titles sell very well, I'm sure MGM and Warners will start releasing new versions of these and other titles.

Reactions: Osato

darkrock17

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew McClure
This is meant to be a test for the deal, but if the re-released titles sell very well, I'm sure MGM and Warners will start releasing new versions of these and other titles.
WB doesn't need to the get their greedy mits on Rocky, The Pink Panther, and James Bond and the rest of UA and post 1986 MGM library. They already proven they care little about their own library let alone the pre 1986 MGM library. If wren't for Warner Archive most of their library would rot away in the vaults.

Real Name
F
WB doesn't need to the get their greedy mits on Rocky, The Pink Panther, and James Bond and the rest of UA and post 1986 MGM library. They already proven they care little about their own library let alone the pre 1986 MGM library. If wren't for Warner Archive most of their library would rot away in the vaults.
This is just going to be a distribution deal, but as somebody on the blu-ray.com forum said recently, it's also MGM's decision to license applicable library titles to third parties and not WB's, similar to WB's deals with BBC and Viz.

Last edited:

darkrock17

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew McClure
This is just going to be a distribution deal, but as somebody on the blu-ray.com forum said recently, it's also MGM's decision to license applicable library titles to third parties and not WB's, similar to WB's deals with BBC and Viz.
MGM/UA would still retain all rights then?

MatthewA

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
MGM has been bounced around to so many owners I’m amazed that it even functions as a company today. In its heyday it made a movie a week. No studio does that today.

Thomas T

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Wow! Where did that come from? :huh: Warners is doing a fabulous job with their library and taking the time to do things right (The Sea Hawk, Jezebel, Mystery Of The Wax Museum, 7 Brides For 7 Brothers, Out Of The Past, The Thing From Another World, The Thin Man, Gaslight, Village Of The Damned, Harper, Bad Day At Black Rock, The Bad And The Beautiful, Suspicion, Auntie Mame, Footlight Parade, Brigadoon, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Victor Victoria, My Favorite Year, Cat On A Hot Tin Roof etc. etc. etc.). I look forward to their announcements from the Archives each month. But I do agree they have their plate full and need another library like a hole in the head. I don't expect much from this "deal", it appears similar to their previous deal with Paramount. Put out what's made available to them.

Reactions: Robin9

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Popped3off