What's new

MGM's Distribution Deal with Fox has expired with Warner taking over! See Post#74 (2 Viewers)

MGM's Distribution Deal has moved from Fox to Warner! See Post#74

• Warner Bros.

Votes: 26 50.0%
  • Sony

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Universal

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • None; they need to stay at Fox.

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • None; they need to stay at Fox/Disney.

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Fox/Disney (for some titles)

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Shout/Criterion/Kino/etc.

Votes: 19 36.5%

• Total voters

Filmfanatic10

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
F
I wonder if Warner Bros. and Universal might make a joint home entertainment deal with MGM that would see the two split distribution of MGM's content, with Warners distributing MGM's post-April 1986 library, the United Artists, Orion and Cannon libraries, and MGM's television content and select new films, and Universal distributing most if not all of the pre-March 31, 1996 PolyGram library in addition to select new MGM films that they internationally distributed?

Last edited:

Filmfanatic10

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
F
So, 18 votes so far for Warner Bros., which happens to be the most votes for a potential new distributor. Makes total sense since they already own the real (old) MGM's library and previously distributed MGM(/UA)'s home video and DVD releases in the 1990s so I can see everything MGM being brought back together under one roof. I hope an official announcement of a distribution deal between Warners and MGM happens in a few weeks or sooner, but it'd better not be Universal whom MGM's been relying on the most in recent years to distribute certain of their theatrical releases outside the US (unless Universal wants to join in to split distribution of MGM's content with their new partners at Warners and take on approximately half of that content).

Last edited:

Filmfanatic10

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
F
Looks like there'll be an announcement happening sometime this month. I'm sure MGM is currently holding talks with other studios while looking for a replacement for Fox, trying to see if any studio is interested in distributing their library, some of their newer films, and their TV and digital content on home media. And I think in WB's case as long as they're most interested, they should also sign a non-exclusive trademark licensing agreement to use the MGM logo to promote the pre-1986 MGM library and the MGM legacy since MGM themselves now have licensing partners to grow their logo and are seeking new ones as well; it's one of the most famous logos in the world.

Also, I wish both WB and MGM would work with disc-authorizing facilities to produce new discs of their library content.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Does it really matter which studio puts their titles out? As long as I can get their titles that I want, I'm sure any of the major studios would do a good job on distribution.

The same question was posed when Bond 25 was up for distribution, in terms of which company we wanted to see distribute it. I didn't have a strong opinion then and I don't care now either. For MGM, these types of things are things they need to seriously consider, but for me as a fan, I don't much care which studio does what as long as I can see their content. I'm sorry if this sounds insensitive or naive, but that's what I think. Does it really matter to us which studio's logo gets loaded at the front of the disc? All of the studios are generally doing good work on transfers, etc., so I don't see why it matters to fans where the product comes from.

Filmfanatic10

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
F
Does it really matter which studio puts their titles out? As long as I can get their titles that I want, I'm sure any of the major studios would do a good job on distribution.

The same question was posed when Bond 25 was up for distribution, in terms of which company we wanted to see distribute it. I didn't have a strong opinion then and I don't care now either. For MGM, these types of things are things they need to seriously consider, but for me as a fan, I don't much care which studio does what as long as I can see their content. I'm sorry if this sounds insensitive or naive, but that's what I think. Does it really matter to us which studio's logo gets loaded at the front of the disc? All of the studios are generally doing good work on transfers, etc., so I don't see why it matters to fans where the product comes from.
I'm only curious here.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I think it's most likely to be Universal, as they already have a deal in place to distribute MGM releases theatrically.

Filmfanatic10

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
F
I think it's most likely to be Universal, as they already have a deal in place to distribute MGM releases theatrically.
Actually, that's for select movies only. The other studios distributed most of MGM's other movies since the bankruptcy.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Really? It must be showing some signs of Warners becoming MGM's new home entertainment partner.
That's apparently the case as Warner is getting ready to re-release a BD box set of all the Bond movies and Rocky movies along with several other MGM titles next week. Amazon has several links of MGM titles being released by Warner on July 6th. Currently, those links are inactive, but, it's a telling sign that Warner will now be distributing MGM titles like the Bond movies going forward.

This thread's title has been revised to reflect this distribution change.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
That's apparently the case as Warner is getting ready to re-release a BD box set of all the Bond movies and Rocky movies along with several other MGM titles next week.
Maybe we can get new versions of the Scorsese titles, New York New York, The Last Waltz and Raging Bull

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
That's apparently the case as Warner is getting ready to re-release a BD box set of all the Bond movies and Rocky movies along with several other MGM titles next week.

Hope that also means all MGM titles end up joining Movies Anywhere before long...

_Man_

M90GM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JUSTIN
Warner is the logical home for "new" M-G-M and finally there will be consistency with the once great studio's glorious past with the threads of their present - essentially James Bond, Rocky & United Artists. As Columbia are now resident in the former M-G-M studios and have been co producers of Spectre & Skyfall ..Columbia just might be option as they have the connection whilst one would presume Warner regard new-M-G-M as the competitor to "their" M-G-M - which studio would release MGM's greatest musicals - both M-G-M's have "opposing" M-G-M musical packages (one lot are actually United Artists not "M-G-M" as they are now branded. Any distribution deal would not actually tie the "two" M-G-M's together so . . . .A merry go round as the
M-G-M "brand" once again remains "unsettled".

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I read this post twice when it was in its own separate thread and I couldn't get my head around it. Now the mods have moved it, it's not as incomprehensible as before.

Nevertheless, please give some details about how MGM's greatest musicals are split between the two MGMs and which are the United Artists musicals?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks