What's new

MGM - What Happened??? (1 Viewer)

NeilEdwards

Stunt Coordinator
Received my October 15th order today. Exodus, The Hoodlum Priest, How to Murder Your Wife, The Russians are Coming, The World of Henry Orient.

Only The Russians are Coming and The World of Henry Orient are Anamorphic. How to Murder Your Wife, The Hoodlum Priest and especially Exodus are not. What a disappointment ... especially Exodus.

Exodus was a long awaited epic film and not to have this in an Anamorphic version degrades from what would have been a great transfer.

What happened? Was it an error? Will you be correcting this error?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, the "Exodus" dvd should have been given a better effort with an anamorphic presentation.

I only hope you treat "Judgement at Nuremberg" differently!

Crawdaddy

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
I have been waiting for Exodus a long long time. I have to say I was very disappoiinted with this release. The picture quality was not exactly great. Then the case did not even have an insert sheet. That did not help to get a good impression either.

Ron Birk

BarryM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barry Margolis
I have a dozen or so of the MGM DVD's of the classic titles in their library control, and I'm frustrated at the utter lack of extras.....most of the people who are buying these titles have already seen the movie a number of times and there's always interesting stories behind the making of all of these films.

Imagine owning "Dracula" (Universal) without the first-rate commentary.

Please, MGM, rather than making the price point the primary consideration, consider looking around for some documentary material on the making of these fine films....and while you're at it, fix the sound on "World Of Henry Orient".

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Neil, do any of the 3 non-anamorphic discs you mentioned have a 1.66:1 AR? Because MGM has a policy of NOT making anamorphic transfers of films shot 1.66:1.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Exodus is 2.35:1 - a clear candidate for anamorphic enhancement. Could you imagine Lawrence of Arabia in non-anamorphic?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Lawrence of Arabia was fortunate enough to be restored by Robert Harris. In fact, he has stated that Exodus is likely in terrible condition.

But, Exodus is still a mildly popular film and should warrant at least a new anamorphic transfer from whatever 35mm anamorphic elements that exist.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
EXODUS was shot using a 65mm negative. So "whatever 35mm anamorphic elements still exist" would not properly represent the film's original aspect ratio.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I know Exodus was shot in Super Panavision 70, but I think a 16x9 transfer from an anamorphic element would be a LOT better than the non-anamorphic LD transfer currently used.

MGM did this with It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (which is Ultra Panavision) at least.

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
What about english subtitles on these. Just asking out of curiosity, russians and how to murder your wife are the titles I am most interested in.

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
Exodus has English subtitles. MGM has been very good with this since they started to support English subtitles again.

Danny_N

Second Unit
Real Name
Danny
Exodus should have been a 2-disc set with the movie spread over the 2 discs. The "intermission" would have been a ideal breakpoint. Of course if you cut out the intermission (in a rather amateuristic way as you can still hear a cue), use a very low bitrate and make it non-anamorphic you can fit a 200+ minute movie on one disc. It just doesn't look very good though :frowning: :thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks