What's new

MGM: We Will NOT BUY Best of collections of the Outer Limits (New) (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, I don't think your explaining yourself well enough, so allow me! :)
MGM: We have seen rumors here that September will see 3 releases concerning the "Outer Limits" shows:
1) The Original Outer Limits - Complete 1st Season Box Set
2) The New Outer Limits - Sex and Science Fiction Coll.
3) The New Outer Limits - Time Travel & Infinity Coll.
The two Collections from the New Outer Limits are rumored to each be 6 individual episodes in no order, simply based on the titular themes.
What Jeff's trying to say is that we don't want them (the New series episodes) in that "thematic, best-of" format. We would like in-order season sets just like the manner in which the Original Outer Limits series is being presented. The same way Stargate SG-1 has been presented, for that manner.
Also, there is concern here at HTF as to whether the Original series' 2nd season is in-the-works or not. We all certainly hope that it is! Please finish what is started!!
If, as I suspect, you are "testing the waters" with these formats to ensure that interest is there, then please let everyone know that, so support can be drummed up.
Of course, the best way to drum up support for future releases will be for us to buy these releases when they come out! So everyone, put this date on your calendars: Sept. 3rd is the rumor, okay?
As a reviewer for the TVShowsOnDVD site, I heartily volunteer my time to review all of these SKUs if someone would be so kind as to provide the screeners! :D Ah, it was worth a shot...

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
SKU stands for "Stock Keeping Unit".

Every item that can be sold separately from any other item is assigned a SKU.

Sometimes the SKU that the manufacturer uses is a different one than the retailer uses. A middleman/wholesaler may assign their own independant SKU as well.

These days, the UPC code acts as a universal SKU for everyone in lots of cases. Some chains may still assign a separate SKU, though.

As an example, I have in front of me the still-wrapped copy of Big Trouble In Little China I bought at Best Buy on Friday. It's sticker shows the SKU to be 4156317. On the back is a UPC code sticker that is on OVER the package's UPC code. It shows a SKU (presumably Fox's) of 2001439. The UPC code is 0 24543 01439 3.

In closing, I will name 6 unique SKUs coming out this Tuesday to drive home the point:
  1. [*]Harry Potter - Widescreen[*]Harry Potter - Fullscreen[*]First Blood[*]Rambo: First Blood Part 2[*]Rambo III[*]Rambo Box Set[/list=1]

All are indicative of separately-sold items. Got it?

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Hmm, okay. Seems a slightly obscure reference to me! :D
Wouldn't 'release' or even 'DVD' be as good but clearer??;)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
"SKU" is quite common, Theo.

And I, for one, want to see the entire original series released. To this day it remains the finest example of science fiction produced on television. A marvelous series.

Also agreed with the sentiments being expressed about the Showcase-originated later series: Please release them in the chronological order of the series itself.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Jack's right, Theo..."SKU" is rather a common term these days. I think those of us who are or were "in the biz" tend to use the phrase more; I think it just slipped out while I was writing. However, I see the term SKU on HTF all the time, used by all *sorts* of folks. :)

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Yeah, you do. I just hadn't got round to asking what it might stand for. I'm not sure how many of us are/were in 'the biz'. It may also mean more on that side of the Atlantic.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I will not buy New Outer Limits in best-ofs

I really enjoy new Outer Limits, not too hot on the old one, but it seems I'm in the minority there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks