MGM/WB; "Mutiny on the Bounty"?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Bob Engleman, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Bob Engleman

Bob Engleman Stunt Coordinator

While MGM has released "Bounty", which wasn't based upon the Nordoff & Hall trilogy, neither the Gable, nor the Brando versions are available; I'm a buyer of both!!!!!!

Bob Engleman

2. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

I am a huge fan of the Brando version, but I am told that right now the restoration of the film for dVD would cost too much, so it has been put on the back burner.

3. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

I can't believe that these films and others like them aren't being planned for release. It would be nice if the classic movies were all restored and then released on DVD. But, why not just do the best they can now and see what kind of response they get? If they sell well then they know that they can then be restored and given special editions. I find it hard to believe that a studio could be worried about losing money on a classic. It's not like they would have to manufacture the kind of numbers that they would for a new release. I'm more apt to believe that these kinds of movies will be released sooner rather than later. I mean can anyone seriously say that a DVD of Cromwell (1970) (one of my favs) is going to be a big seller? Yet it's due out in October. So I have faith that we'll see a lot of these coming out soon.

Actually, I think studios are more worried about not releasing more of their movies on DVD considering the way DVDs are selling. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

4. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I can easily agree that the Nordoff & Hall trilogy was a total best, IMO, this has nothing at all to do with any movie.

When I end up in this mess I always end up thinking back to an old Stones song - It's the singer, not the song.

In this case, it is the actor, not the story, that make a film great. The best story in the world can be easily ruined with poor acting. This is why I'd much rather see the earlier Brando version.

As for restoration costs, the only thing I can say is - just what are they doing with the profits for the new movies? (I'm assuming that they at least broke even) The new movies do not require any work at all to put on a DVD (with the exception of making those stupid F***ed Frame versions - which are a total waste of money anyway).

It just makes me wonder what they are thinking.

Glenn

5. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Someone mentioned in Software that the '35 version may be coming soon.

7. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Yep! (Raps mallet on head multiple times) I had Brando in another train of thought. Don't even ask.

Glenn

8. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    If I had to pick one Bounty film it would easily be the 1962 Brando version, I love the color and scope, and the music by Bronislau Kaper was incredible.

I thought Clark Gable looked uncomfortable as Fletcher Christian in the 1935 classic, Brando's foppish turn was far more effective.
    Charles Laughton's Bligh was a caricature, but an enjoyable and very famous one,
    I thought Trevor Howard was a far more credible Bligh.

The only thing I wasn't happy about the 1962 version is Brando's protracted death scene, which lasted at least 15 minutes [the film was 3 hours long], and had me shouting "hurry up and die will ya" at the screen.[​IMG]

Well I hope both Bounty's get a dvd release eventually, I'll buy 'em both.

[rant]"MISTER CHRISTIAAAAN!"[/rant]

9. Bill Burns

Bill Burns Supporting Actor

I'd buy both (I love the '35), but the latter only if it's taken from original large format (Ultra Panavision, around 2.76:1 in both its recorded and projection apertures; theatres may have cropped it, but I don't want it cropped on disc). Ditto for WB's single greatest property (in my opinion [​IMG]), Branagh's Hamlet (which is Super Panavision, around 2.2:1). Reduction elements simply will not do. [​IMG] WB has my full confidence -- their track record has been very good on the format, though the reduction sourced My Fair Lady should be revisited not only to return to large format, but also for several other improvements now possible.

I've drifted a bit off-topic, though -- the two Bounties may dock on my shelf any day, as per above.

10. larry bender

larry bender Stunt Coordinator

In regard to MY FAIR LADY we need a new dvd transfer with SUPER PANAVISION 70 elements and a 2:20 aspect ratio.I read an article that stated that the current dvd comes from a 35 mm source. I think we could do better than this.

11. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug

12. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis

13. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Ni! Dennis, there's one shot during Brando's neverending death scene where the girl is stroking his head, and from the angle they shot it, it looks like she's fondling a coconut! I swear they substituted Brando's head for a coconut and no one noticed the difference! They've probably been doing that ever since, have you seen some of his recent films?[​IMG]

Douglas, wow, didn't know David Lean shot that bit, wonder if he realised there was a coconut doubling Brando's head while he was shooting it?

14. Greg Krewet

Greg Krewet Stunt Coordinator

The information about David Lean directing the Brando
    death scene is interesting. I remember that Lean was very
    interested in filming The Bounty story and the Mel Gibson version of that story grow out of the abortive Lean project.
    I believe it was scheduled to be two films, one being
    Bligh;s version and the other the more traditional Fletcher Christian version. Anybody have any clarifying
    details on the Lean Bounty project.
    Best
    Greg

15. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    Greg - This is from the British film Institute website:

Between 1977 and 1980, David Lean collaborated with Robert Bolt on a two-part project about the mutiny on HMS Bounty. "The Lawbreakers" focused on the actual mutiny, while "The Long Arm" explored what happened afterwards. Despite initial involvement by both Warner Brothers and the Dino de Laurentiis Corporation, Lean was unable to find a backer willing to finance both films. He decided to combine the two scripts into one film entitled "Pandora's Box". Melvyn Bragg was brought in to work on this script, when Robert Bolt underwent heart surgery and subsequently suffered a massive stroke, but Lean still failed to find the financial backing he needed. The documentation arising from this project was considerable, and shows how detailed Lean and Bolt's work became, including plans for a replica of HMS Bounty which was built in New Zealand. Dino De Laurentiis eventually released a version of the story (The Bounty, d. Roger Donaldson, 1984), which used the replica ship and parts of Bolt's script, and starred Anthony Hopkins and Mel Gibson.

16. Greg Krewet

Greg Krewet Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Doug, for the information update.
    Best
    Greg

17. ChristianLiemke

ChristianLiemke Stunt Coordinator

DVDuell.de