What's new

MGM/Warner October Horror; Midnite Movies, Val Lewton, Demon Seed and more (1 Viewer)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Agreed, Mattias. I remain convinced that these DVDs were a rare disappointment from Warner (sorry, WB). Just because the Val Lewton films themselves are dark and shadowy doesn't mean that it isn't also possible that the DVD transfers themselves can't be overly dark like any other shoddy rendition of any other black and white film. Still, the main offender for me was THE BODY SNATCHER. The main problem I had with I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE was that it was riddled with stains and scratches. And there were already better prints which people have seen of that title.

Since I last wrote about THE BODY SNATCHER being far too dark and murky, I had attended a Boris Karloff festival in Manhattan back in February 2006. They were playing THE BODY SNATCHER on the big screen and sure enough, it looked much better than the Warner DVD does, with better contrast and a tad brighter and not at all as dingy and dark as the Lewton Collection. The theater's print was beautiful, and better matched most copies of the film I've seen throughout my life, prior to the WB set's

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Just noticed on Amazon, Martin Scorsese produced documentary about Val Lewton is being released on January 8 by itself. It's listed as "Martin Scorsese Presents: Val Lewton"

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

I will be 100%, absolutely and irrevocably pissed if this Scocese doc isn't released independently. No one should have to re-buy an entire box set for one added feature, however good it might be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks