What's new

MGM UNRELEASED TV TITLES?? (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Dear Guys:

With Amazon purchasing MGM, what unreleased television series could Amazon put out? Which ones do they have access to?
Just wondering what's out there in people's heads.

--James

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Amazon probably only has direct access / ownership to MGM tv shows released after 84 or so.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Yes. Anything from the classic MGM era is owned by Warner Brothers. The current MGM owns properties later acquired like United Artists, Filmways, Orion etc.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The question is whether Amazon/MGM has any interest in releasing newer dvd/bluray titles, once all the old inventory runs out.

For example after MGM signed on to Warner distributing their dvd/bluray releases awhile ago, I noticed some James Bond titles were just the old Fox inventory with a new Warner sticker placed over the old 20th Century Fox information.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
MGM's TV catalog is actually pretty small all things considered.

The ZIV and Daystar UA shows (GLADASYA and Quinn Martin are with Warner and Paramount respectively)
Filmways (minus Beverly Hillbillies)/Orion Television
MGM series from Thirtysomething on (which is mostly Showtime Sci-Fi shows)

Not some massive goldmine of unreleased content.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Exactly. The three major 60s UA titles already made it to DVD (Outer Limits, Patty Duke, Rat Patrol).

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
MGM's TV catalog is actually pretty small all things considered.

The ZIV and Daystar UA shows (GLADASYA and Quinn Martin are with Warner and Paramount respectively)
Filmways (minus Beverly Hillbillies)/Orion Television
MGM series from Thirtysomething on (which is mostly Showtime Sci-Fi shows)

Not some massive goldmine of unreleased content.

Three Key ZIV shows have never made it to DVD:

"Boston Blackie" (Partly color, might be rights issues with the character that Sony didn't have with the features)

"I Led 3 Lives" (Partly color, might be rights issues with the book and Philbrick's estate)

"Men into Space" (With only 38 episodes, and no issues, I wonder why this never came out - did air on Scifi and Comet)

ArtAD

Auditioning
Real Name
Art
I would like to see more seasons of Fame. Then there are short lived series I would like to see:
MGM TV:
Nightmare Cafe
The Lionhearts
Barbershop: The Series

UA TV
Men in Space
East Side West Side
Mona McCluskey
The New Phil Silvers Show
Hey Landlord
The Everglades
Some Like it Hot TV Show pilot

Orion TV
The surviving episodes of Hollywood / Storybook Squares

Filmways:
The Double Life of Henry Phyfe
The Pruitts Of Southhamptom
The Debbie Reynolds Show

When they licensed several shows to TGG, ClassicFlix and Timeless Media I was hoping more of the limited TV shows would become available I picked up My Mother the Car, Bat Masterson, Sea hunt, George Washington Miniseries, Bearcats, & It's About Time

I would also like to see many short Lived Screen Gems series too.........but that is another story

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I’m still hoping for In the Heat of the Night with all episodes cleared. The TGG direct release is missing some episodes. Is there any chance?

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I would like to see more seasons of Fame. Then there are short lived series I would like to see:
MGM TV:
Nightmare Cafe
The Lionhearts
Barbershop: The Series

UA TV
Men in Space
East Side West Side
Mona McCluskey
The New Phil Silvers Show
Hey Landlord
The Everglades
Some Like it Hot TV Show pilot

Orion TV
The surviving episodes of Hollywood / Storybook Squares

Filmways:
The Double Life of Henry Phyfe
The Pruitts Of Southhamptom
The Debbie Reynolds Show

When they licensed several shows to TGG, ClassicFlix and Timeless Media I was hoping more of the limited TV shows would become available I picked up My Mother the Car, Bat Masterson, Sea hunt, George Washington Miniseries, Bearcats, & It's About Time

I would also like to see many short Lived Screen Gems series too.........but that is another story

I'm pretty sure the 1960s-1981 original version of Hollywood Squares is owned by Sony, not Orion. Yes, I know the syndicated (non-daytime) episodes from this time were distributed by Filmways, but I think that was just a distribution deal. GSN had to lease the tapes from Sony when they did their reruns. I don't think Orion assumed ownership of the format until after production had already finished on the NBC daytime version.

Pmprod7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
PM
Gavilan 1982 (Robert Urich adventure short-lived show)was from MGM television. Wish they would put that out on DVD.( They made 13 episodes collectively)--or they could at least stream them on Amazon Prime since they bought out the MGM television library.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Gavilan 1982 (Robert Urich adventure short-lived show)was from MGM television. Wish they would put that out on DVD.( They made 13 episodes collectively)--or they could at least stream them on Amazon Prime since they bought out the MGM television library.
I've seen an episode or two in terrible quality in Youtube. Seems like a fun show. A little Magnum-esque.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I sent a tweet to the MGM studios Twitter account regarding In the Heat of the Night. Hoping for a response

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Is there any chance that MGM titles could be licensed to shout for dvd or Blu Ray release?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
VEI have already re-released some old MGM shows previously released by Fox, such as: Stargate SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Stargate Universe, Cagney & Lacey, etc ...

ShoutFactory released/completed Green Acres and Mister Ed.

It appears most of these are one by one deals between MGM and VEI or Shout Factory.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
VEI have already re-released some old MGM shows previously released by Fox, such as: Stargate SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Stargate Universe, Cagney & Lacey, etc ...

ShoutFactory released/completed Green Acres and Mister Ed.

It appears most of these are one by one deals between MGM and VEI or Shout Factory.
I actually have the Mister Ed set. I purchased the individual seasons. And then Shout was able to go back and release the complete series with season 1 released uncut or edited. I was hoping that MGM would be Able to release its titles without clearance issues. Specifically in the Heat of the night. Apparently it has a lot of music clearance issues which led to missing episodes on the TGG direct licensed releases

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
The question is whether Amazon/MGM has any interest in releasing newer dvd/bluray titles, once all the old inventory runs out.

For example after MGM signed on to Warner distributing their dvd/bluray releases awhile ago, I noticed some James Bond titles were just the old Fox inventory with a new Warner sticker placed over the old 20th Century Fox information.

That wasn't uncommon back in the day. I recall when distribution rights to the MGM catalog switched from MGM/UA (which was the case while MGM still owned their films, as well as after Ted Turner bought the MGM and Warner catalogs from them) to Warner (after Turner turned the catalogs over to them). The outer packaging for movie titles went from MGM/UA keepcases to Warner snapper cases, but the discs inside were mostly still the MGM-pressed discs).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks