What's new

MGM: Summer Lovers?1 (1 Viewer)

John Stockton

Second Unit
I fully agree. This is one of those catalog titles that MGM may feel is better done in Pan&Scan. But by all means, this title (as well as all others) deserves to be presented in its OAR, in this case, 2.39:1. This film has some beautiful scenery from the Greek islands, that will be completely ruined if Pan & Scanned.

Please MGM, do this film justice, and give us the film in beautiful Anamorphic Widescreen.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
First, I did not know MGM had committed this guilty pleasure of an old title to DVD. Imagine my concern upon reading here that it's going to be in pan-and-scan only. Well, that's one lost sale you can count on. I would have pre-ordered this if it weren't going to be in pan-and-scan. Forget it, MGM.

HINT (and pass this along to the marketing department): This obscure and, frankly, bad movie (which I love) is mostly of interest to collectors by now. And collectors have this thing about original aspect ratios and such. You're not going to move many copies among the mass-market types. Too bad you're excluding us, the enthusiasts, from your plans.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Add me to the list of collectors who will be bitterly disappointed if this film is not in its proper aspect ratio, and who will not support butchering films by buying it. Please do this properly in a nice anamorphic transfer.

Andy Shepherd

Auditioning
I've loved the film since the time I saw it in the cinema back in1982. I created a web page and fan forum, which has strong and growing support. I've travelled to Greece and seen many of the filming locations. Yes I'm a true and dedicated fan.
The announcement that Summer Lovers will be released on DVD is very welcoming and I look forward to seeing it on disc.
There is one surprise I wasn't counting on though... MGM's intention to release SL in 'standard' screen mode, meaning 4:3. With widescreen tv's readily available now, I would have thought the meaning of 'standard' mode would have migrated to widescreen. The DVD format will be with us for sometime to come. A disc will last centuries past standard screen 4:3 tv's when 16:9 screens will be the norm.
Summer Lovers was shot with Panavision cameras with an aspect ratio of 1.85:1 (35 mm anamorphic) - some sources say it's 2.35 : 1.
Randal Kleiser and his crew went through enormous difficulties during the filming, for example, carting film rig by donkeys through mountainous terrain at 2 in the morning to reach remote locations and be ready for a daytime shoot.
The impact of these stunning locations will be lost and the artists creative work will be bastardised on a standard 4:3 screen. I hope MGM reconsider and produce Summer Lovers in all its widescreen glory.
__
Link Removed
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/summerlovers
:)

Howard B

Grip
I also want to protest the release of Summer Lovers on standard mode only. The sheer beauty of the photography cries out for wide screen. I have already contacted MGM and have corresponded with Danira Devereaux at MGM Home Entertainment Customer Service about this issue and referred her to this forum page. Hopefully MGM will take notice.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
I'm another fan of this guilty pleasure of a movie who has been waiting for its release on DVD for a long time. If the initial reports are true and it will be released in P&S only, I too will reluctantly pass on a purchase. There won't be any need for a rental either as I've seen it P&S already. A real opportunity missed MGM.

Rob

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Are you reading this, MGM? Hope so. For these guys are your target demographic: enthusiasts. And not one of them will buy this DVD if it is a pan-and-scan transfer.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
I have been posting about Summer Lovers since I joined this forum a year and a half ago. I am more upset about this full-frame announcement than any I can recall. This is my favorite "guilty pleasure" movie of all-time and one I can continually go back and watch again.
A big part of that appeal are the lush, widescreen images of the Greek isles depicted herein. This is what has inspired my fiancée and I to spend our honeymoon on Oia--when we can afford it. :)
I am quite happy to see the support the film has gotten thus far. It's good to see some of the Summer Lovers Yahoo Club members voicing their opinion in this forum. Please keep it up.
I urge MGM to listen to these pleas for an anamorphic, OAR DVD release. If it means a delay in the release, that's fine. Maybe then, MGM will even consider adding some "special edition features" to the release. ;) I'm not really holding my breath for anything that wonderful, just a release upholding the original "vision" of the filmmakers. Randal Kleiser was just asked about this film on dvdfile.com. I wonder if he had any idea this is what MGM intended.
If MGM does not change their plans, I too will obstain from purchasing a copy.
Just to show MGM the support and interest the film has garnered in the past, I've included links to two earlier HTF posts on the film:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...=summer+lovers
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...=summer+lovers
Jon

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to keep hammering away here, futile though it may be: I really want this film on DVD and would purchase it in a heartbeat if it is presented in its proper aspect ratio. Otherwise, ain't buyin'.

Again, only videophiles would be really interested in this mostly forgotten title. Why saw off the branch upon which you're perched, MGM?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
While cruising the net I found a reference to a making of feature for this film, which should also be included alongside the widescreen transfer. This may not be James Bond, but as has been stated above, the vast majority of those would buy a film like this are going to afficionados who want something better than the taped P&S versions many of us already have on VHS.
That said, there has only been one report so far that I know of which has claimed this is P&S, so we may be blowing hot air for nothing, which I ope is the case. If it isn't, well...

Rosetta S

Auditioning
I would also like to put in my vote for proper treatment of Summer Lovers on DVD. It must be released in widescreen to show off all that gorgeous scenery. Otherwise it isnt worth the bother of purchasing. DVD is meant to be BETTER than VHS. Pan and Scan is NOT the way!!

Howard B

Grip
I have talked to several people about this and we are all agreed. It is not worth buying unless released in widescreen

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
When a film is a VISUAL as Summer Lovers is,
it is inexcuseable to not have it available in its OAR.
I was going to buy the forthcoming DVD until I found out
it was not oar.
As others have mentioned, this film, good or bad, is
now an "ethusiasts" film, and our primary concern is
seeing as closely represetative of what we saw in the
theater...not a pan-and-scan hack job.
Respectfully,
Mark

KennyC

Auditioning
I was very excited to hear that MGM will release Summer Lovers on DVD. This film needs to be released in OAR format. The scenery that this film showed, probably rose the tourism in Santorini. MGM, this release might be a one time thing. Let's get it right.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Again, only videophiles would be really interested in this mostly forgotten title. Why saw off the branch upon which you're perched, MGM?
Maybe they should ask Columbia TriStar how many copies of 84 Charing Cross Road they've sold so far.
I don't think J6P is buying these titles at Walmart.
:laugh:

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
I haven't seen anything posted here in awhile and I don't want to see the thread die.
Anyone else who does not want to see Summer Lovers in a cropped, pan-and-scam DVD presentation, please voice your displeasure here.
MGM, please reconsider your decision to release Summer Lovers without an anamorphic OAR presentation.
Jon

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I don't know that there has been anything conclusive about the aspect ratio for this release, but I do hope that MGM has the sense to release it in its original aspect ratio. I would encourage anyone concerned about this to also email MGM through their website.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks