MGM slate for 2/18/03. Non-OAR Alert!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lambert, Nov 1, 2002.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I'm shocked that I haven't seen this posted yet. I didn't want to be the one to bring it up. But...
    The other day, DVDFile posted this:
    Well, frankly, Peter's wrong with the 2/14 Valentine's Day date. That's a Friday. The actual date - which I've verified with the studio - is 2/18/03.
    I've also verified that one of my favorite cheese-from-the-80's comedy films, How To Beat The High Cost Of Living, will only be released in a Pan-And-Scan format. [​IMG]
    I didn't check on Basic Training or Bank Shot, as the disappointment of HTBTHCOL was enough for me. [​IMG]

2. Rain

Rain Producer

I wish MGM every success on their new venture into the plastic coaster business.
    Unfortunately I am not personally in the market for any coasters, nor do I expect to be in the forseeable future.
    [​IMG]

3. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Well if reports are true, their January slate isn't much better, with a guilty pleasure - Summer Lovers (2.35:1) being P&S as well.

4. David Lambert

Summer Lovers, too? [​IMG]
    Rats. MGM had been so *good* with OAR lately...

5. David Lambert

I verified that Bank Shot, Basic Training, Summer Lovers are all going to be MAR releases! [​IMG]

6. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    Well, here is a studio that saw the light.....

and then walked in the opposite direction.

7. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

I wasn't planning on buying any of those titles, so could care less if they were released in OAR or not. Additionally, if hefty JSP/Blockbuster sales of these MAR titles help to finance proper OAR Special Editions of key MGM releases (RAGING BULL, ROBOCOP: S.E, remastered Leone titles and new Midnight Movie releases) throughout 2003/2004, so much the better. I understand if others feel differently. If MGM really do 'walk in the opposite direction' and start releasing MAR versions of films I actually want and care about, I'll be the first to complain, but I know of at least a few people who probably won't find a $14.95 fullscreen DVD of a low-key 80's comedy that bad a deal. Maybe the MGM restorative services were maxed out doing their updated transfers of THE VAMPIRE LOVERS and A FISTFUL OF DYNAMITE at the time...

8. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

But how do you know that this MAR-financing is going to lead to OAR SE's? More likely lead to MAR SE's. So what ever happened to that Office Space SE? We ended up getting a new Pan & Scan disc. LOL.

9. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

If MGM sees P&S as the way of the future, your Vampire Lovers and Fistful of Dynamite could be next. This scourge has to be stopped. Every film deserves a proper presentation on DVD.

10. David Lambert

[​IMG] [rant]thread-fart alert![/rant]

11. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Whatever happened to Raging Bull: SE???

12. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    Of all these MAR titles, Summer Lovers is the one that upsets me most. I will not be purchasing that title in anything but OAR. On top of its unfortunate fate, the new cover actually looks great!
    Jon