What's new

MGM - Since you own the Avco-Embassy titles, how about SOLDIER BLUE? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This film has been released to video only in pan and scan and severely edited from its original R-rated version. I do understand it is reviled by some for its extreme violence, but what is conveniently overlooked is that the Sand Creek Massacre of 1864, which this film depicts, was far more brutal than the unedited film suggests. Despite a rather banal sub-plot involving a romance between Candice Bergen and Peter Strauss, the film is quite powerful and was one of the first to admit that most of us had been "had" in our history classes in school - the Cavalry soldiers were frequently NOT the good guys, and the Indians often NOT the bad guys. Our history of Manifest Destiny regardless of who stood in the way (or who was here before we) is shameful, and SOLDIER BLUE rather bravely brought this to the fore. The movie did come out during the Vietnam War and many critics decided the movie was supposed to mirror our involvement in that war, but the horrific documented FACTS about the U.S. Army's deceitful and ultimately genocical attitude toward Native Americans are fodder enough to justify the intensity of this film. I urge you, MGM, to release this film uncut and in anamorphic 2.35:1.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
I've wanted to see this film for awhile. I took a Native American History course and the professor raved about it, but could not track down a print or tape to screen for the class. This could go under MGM's "Avant Garde" label--good suggestion.

Jon

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Just when you thought you could rely on something, MGM is out of the Embassy business, so to speak. Exempting titles which they have already released on tape or DVD, MGM will no longer be releasing any films from the Avco Embassy library. The rightsholders, StudioCanal, have begun licensing the remaining Embassy films to Anchor Bay, beginning with MAD MONSTER PARTY, ROAD GAMES, MURDER BY DECREE, WINTER KILLS, and others due for late this year or early next. The previously announced special editions of THE FOG, THE HOWLING, and ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK will still be going out through MGM, however.

Meanwhile, if there's any good news to be gleaned from this, it's that Anchor Bay will be more inclined to do the requisite hunting to issue the original R-rated cut of SOLDIER BLUE.

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator
I remember seeing this in the theater when first released and would like to be able to see it again, uncut and in its OAR, on DVD. Hopefully, Anchor Bay will once again come through and secure rights to give us an excellent DVD presentation of this controversial movie.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Thanks for the info, Mark. I have copied the four replies to this thread and sent them to Anchor Bay. I hope others who would like to see this released will email them as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks