What's new

MGM Silents coming soon to DVD, perhaps? (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
According to the press release about the Cuckoo's Nest, Amadeus, True Romance, and Singin' In The Rain...

A new group of special editions from Warner's enormous library that encompasses most of the historic films made at MGM in its heyday will be introduced next year, some of which have never been released on DVD.
I might be taking this to an extreme, but does anyone think that this might mean WB will release their silent cinema to DVD finally?

Brian E

Screenwriter
Hard to say. Warner has rights to everything MGM that's pre 1986 so there are a lot of possibilities.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
As much as I would like to see it Patrick, I really doubt it. Most likely it will be 40-60's stuff, like Singin' In The Rain.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I'm hoping for stuff like "Strange Brew", "The Hunger" and "Electric Dreams" to be part of Warner's Turner-MGM Special Editions.

Sincerely,

John "I need something to replace my wearing MGM Big Box 'Hunger' release" Kilduff

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
John,
Sorry, but none of those titles you mentioned are classified as historic MGM films made during they're heydey as the dream factory.

Crawdaddy

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
On a sidenote, I read the other day that WB is investing an enormous amount of money restoring hundreds of Vitaphone shorts, which were produced from the '20s to the '50s. They are of incredible significance in preserving the pop culture of those times, and many have been decomposing due to the nitrate negatives. At this point nothing is scheduled for DVD (though these shorts do end up on TCM); but it's good to know that WB >is< doing what's right to preserve early film.
P.S. ELECTRIC DREAMS???????????? :D

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I hope several silent classics are released as well as some of the sound films that are badly in need of DVD releases(including the films of Errol Flynn, James Cagney and Michael Curtiz).

EDIT:Oops, I didn't notice that these were only films released by MGM. I really hope Warner Brothers also releases some of the films made by their own studio as well.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I sincerely hope that they will at least start to release some of their silents to DVD. I would love to see the major studios start paying more attention to the earlier films in their catalogues.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I really want more Bette Davis stuff from the 1930's & 1940's. How about a big box set of these films?:D :D 1/2

Blake Comeaux

Stunt Coordinator
If Warner would release a box set of the six Thin Man films then I'd be one happy camper. These is some of the classiest classic comedies ever.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I'd love to see the Thin Man films on DVD! I recorded all six of them on TCM earlier this week. Prior to this, I had only seen The Thin Man Goes Home, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I've now watched the first two so far, and they had me in hysterics (the first much more so than the second). These would quickly enter my rotation of most-watched DVD's if they were released.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
If they're restoring many classics, you can bet that they'll be on DVD eventually. I think that WB is currently just putting out surefire hits. It's only a matter of time before they'll start digging through their archives.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks