MGM: Restored Night of the Hunter

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Art_AD, Sep 12, 2001.

1. Art_AD

Art_AD Stunt Coordinator

The New York Film Festival will be screening (Oct3) a restored print (no added scenes) of this film. Also included in the screening will be rare outakes from the film (a rarity for a United Artists film as there was no room for storage of the trims and outtakes for most of their films)Is there a chance we will see this in 2002?

2. Rain

Rain Producer

A great request. I've avoided buying the existing version as I've heard it looks like crap, but I really do want this movie. Make it nice and I shall buy.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    "People always clap for the wrong things." - The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
    Anyone in the Vancouver, BC area interested in meeting up? If so, click here.
    Please sign the online petition against Warner Brothers' recent non-OAR releases. Click here.

3. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Charles Laughton's only film as director, and has a stunning, creepy and surreal atmosphere practically done in by a mediocre DVD trasnfer by MGM.

4. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

I love this movie along with the other Robert Mitchum classics Cape Fear (1962) and Out of the Past. But I thought the transfer on the MGM DVD was pretty decent. Maybe that was because I was watching it on a 32" TV. In any case, a new release with the restored print and the outtakes would always be welcome !
    [Edited last by Deepak Shenoy on September 14, 2001 at 08:35 PM]

5. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    Boy, I sure didn't see anything wrong with the video on the current release....

6. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

7. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I thought it looked pretty good, too. Some extras would have been nice, though...
    ------------------
    He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
    -- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

8. Anders Runestad

I think that there has been some knee-jerk MGM bashing going on. I own this disc as well and cannot fault it.