What's new

MGM releasing "Attack", "Zulu" and John Huston's "The Unforgiven" (1 Viewer)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I believe that MGMs region 1 release should be the one to opt for
I've seen no evidence that M-G-M's R1 release with include the audio commentary & documentary. So IMHO the R2 or R4 versions should be the ones to opt for.

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Are the UK R2 and the Australian R4 really the same transfer?
I have read reviews of the R4 where they complain about
too much aliasing in the picture but not in any UK R2
review.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
The R4 DVD is the R2 DVD, just re-badged, as with all Paramount DVDs. Remember, there has been at least one previous, public domain release of Zulu in R4 and it was atrocious.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
It doesnt seem right that MGM the original rights owner does not have in its possession or have access to the stereo soundtrack.
There are no rights anymore in the US. The film is in the public domain so anyone could release it with the stereo soundtrack. I'm sure MGM has access to the stereo mix as they inherited the Avco/Embaassy library. Criterion's laserdisc was under license from Nelson Entertainment (who at the time owned the Avco/Embassy library). Whatever materials Criterion had, should already be in MGM's posession.

Jeff

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

According to Bill Hunt of DigitatBits, MGM has confirmed to him that they're not in possession of the stereo track of "Zulu".

Also, since I've been a collector for over 20 years involving various video formats, I became curious about this discussion so last Tuesday night, I'd ordered the Region 4 release of Zulu. Today, I received it which kind of surprised me as to how quickly I received this order. I also bought "The Great Escape", anyway, I'm going to do some comparison between this Region 4 release and the MGM release once it comes out in May.

Also, this will be my first time viewing this movie with a stereo track, in 1964, when I first caught this film at my local theater it was in mono and every viewing since then has been in mono.

It appears to me that the stereo and mono soundtracks can both be argued as being the original audio format, since Paramount/Embassy Pictures initially released the film in both formats.

Edit: The distributor of this film in the United States was Embassy Pictures while Paramount was the UK distributor with Diamond Films being the production company.

Crawdaddy

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
MGM does NOT own the Avco Embassy library--StudioCanal does. For the U.S., the proper copyright owner of ZULU would be StudioCanal. Due to Embassy's closure, the PD status of the film stemming from Diamond's closure, and since StudioCanal is a company without a fulltime U.S. distribution deal (their sister company Universal only issues their movies on a case by case basis), this is why many companies have gotten away with glorified bootlegging of the superior Criterion laserdisc presentation. MGM is issuing their DVD from a preexisting license with one of the defunct companies that StudioCanal inherited.
As such, it puzzles me that they did not get access to the stereo track that Criterion used for their laserdisc, as that would surely be one of the items in StudioCanal's element possession. Unless Criterion is claiming this as some kind of exclusive the same way they do the commentary tracks they have created. Were the stereo materials perhaps obtained from a collector's print that has since gone MIA? It wouldn't be the first time this happened.

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Regarding the stereo surround track on the R2/R4,
has anyone compared it to the laserdisc track to
see (hear?) if it is the same?

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
Mark Edward Heuck :
As such, it puzzles me that they did not get access to the stereo track that Criterion used for their laserdisc, as that would surely be one of the items in StudioCanal's element possession. Unless Criterion is claiming this as some kind of exclusive the same way they do the commentary tracks they have created. Were the stereo materials perhaps obtained from a collector's print that has since gone MIA? It wouldn't be the first time this happened.

The stereo two-track of "Zulu" that Criterion used came from the same source that Nelson/Charter Entertainment used for their vhs release in the late eighties or early nineties. They issued two versions a stereo and a mono. I purchased the stereo, which turned out to be a mono track. I got a replacement which was the correct stereo version, presumably made from the four-track stereo master. When Criterion came to do their version I told them that there was a stereo track on the vhs and I loaned them my vhs, and they agreed that it was stereo and they went ahead and accquired it from them. I assume that the region 2 pal comes from the same source.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
If MGM says they did their restoration for dVD in conjunction with Paramount, and the Paramount DVD has stereo - they why doesn't MGM have the stereo track from Paramount?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Boy...it really makes the laymen guys like me scratch our heads and wonder what the heck is going on at the studio level to cause so much confusion about something like the 4-track master for a film that's been previosly-released on home-video with sound mastered from those very elements.

Of course, it's entirely possible that MGM is completely up to snuff on everything and simply hasn't told anyone else the scoop (though if the movie does *not* come out in stereo on DVD we'll know that's not the case).

I'd also love to hear something definitive. If there are 4 track audio sources around and they are available, it would be a crime if they weren't used on this DVD.

Those of you with stuido-influence...please do what you can to make sure the right people are made aware of this issue!

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
David Boulev :
Boy...it really makes the laymen guys like me scratch our heads and wonder what the heck is going on at the studio level to cause so much confusion about something like the 4-track master for a film that's been previosly-released on home-video with sound mastered from those very elements.

David, the 4-track stereo for "Zulu" has never been available on home video, only a two-track stereo 'mix-down' from it. The hunt is on for the 4-track master.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Yeah...what I meant is if the 4-track *source* was used for the stereo mix-down on other home-video incarnations then that proves that it exists (never meant to imply that the VHS or LD had 4.0 sound!).

dave :)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone been able to confirm one way or another whether M-G-M's "Zulu" will include the commentary by Mrs Hall & Porter, and the "Making of Zulu" documentary that are featured on the R2 release by Paramount.

RickardL

Supporting Actor
I finally got around to watch the UK R2 release of Zulu and
I thought I should chip in my comments;
The picture is vibrant, good colors (look at those reds!) and nice details but
suffers from shimmering as the R4 does.
But that is not as distracting as edge enhancement
would have been if that was ever present.
But the surround sound makes a difference!
At first, I wasn't that impressed with it and
the fidelity is dated but when the music kicks in, the
enveloping sounds of the Zulus and the simple but effective
directional sound effects/dialoge really make it work!

And the newly made documentaries are really great, informative
and entertaining. And I haven't listened to the audio commentary yet...

Jo_C

Second Unit
...and the argument over "Zulu" goes on.

Seriously, folks, I have never seen the film in its entirety, but I do remember seeing it on an AMC telecast (back when they were commercial-free), and the sound was mono.

But gosh! How I wish I would have gotten the film on Criterion LaserDisc with the stereo soundtrack.

How did MGM and StudioCanal cheat us on this one?

So the question is...is there ANY domestic DVD release of "Zulu" (public domain or not) that exists now which has the original stereo soundtrack?

Boy, MGM did screw up big time.

Until I get an answer, I too am on a hunt for the Criterion LaserDisc on a certain auction site.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks