What's new

MGM releases for June, July and August (1 Viewer)

Jodee

Screenwriter
I am excited to see Ken Russell's Whore finally get a release on DVD. That movie was always a guilty pleasure of mine.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Big cheer for Electra Glide in Blue! But, as a previous poster has noted, it's worthless unless it's OAR.

This is one of dp Conrad Hall's finest efforts and those desert vistas and Monument Valley locales just won't look right unless they're in scope.

Interestingly, Hall shot a few of star Robert Blake's best known efforts...In Cold Blood, Tell Them Willie Boy is Here, and Electra Glide in Blue. Would love to see Universal get on Willie Boy so that I could retire that laserdisc. All of these films were shot in scope and it would be interesting to see how many films the late Hall shot in ratios other than this.

On this film, Blake called Hall the de facto director as music producer (Chicago) James William Guercio didn't really know what he was doing as a film director.

Jon

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Regarding that audio glitch on THE NIGHT STALKER, I'll bet you 2 to 1 it'll still be there, since MGM is just recycling existing Disney transfers.

I'm positive THE WOODS is indeed the new Lucky McKee film, which shows how much faith they have in it doing theatrical business, unfortunately.

I'm not 100% positive that WHORE is the Ken Russell film. I looked up some of the non-familiar titles on imdb, and there is a new film copyrighted this year with that title, and since many of the other titles on the list are new low-budget pickups (DORM DAZE, UNSPEAKABLE), this may be one of them as well.

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit
I hope they don't do a half-ass, full-frame job on Smile. I had forgotton what a brilliant satire this was until I had a chance to see a 35mm screening a couple of months ago. It really deserves some care and, hopefully, some supplements.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
JOYRIDE - It will be interesting to see if MGM clears up the music rights for this one. All the ELO songs on the soundtrack were removed for the old VHS version.

Bob Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Quick question: Is "Saved" the recent comedy/satire on teens at a Baptist high school, with Jena Malone, one of the Culkins (can't remember which) and Mandy Moore? I read a good review of it recently, so I hope that's the one. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks,

- Bob

P.S. I just noticed that I jotted down that it was a MGM film when I read the review, so I'm hopeful.....

Matt_H

Stunt Coordinator
hopefully mgm we'll mess up and release the old cut of swamp thing again. doubt it though.

JackKay

Second Unit
Man. When is MGM going to release 'The Loved One' (1965) the movie that has something to offend everyone.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
JackKay, MGM will never release The Loved One because the title belongs to Warners.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
And it sounds a lot like the one I already have. Has there been a video release of this movie that doesn't have the Frankenhiemer/Axelrod/Sinatra interview?

Chuck West

Stunt Coordinator
My guess is that's the same disc as before, only this time containing the PG cut of the film.

Lino Reno

Stunt Coordinator
Hi. Some food for thought: I really want to buy MGM's edition of Woody Allen's Take the Money and Run no matter if it's fullscreen or widescreen (call me what you want...) but I've come across several things I'd like to share with you - some online reviews for the AB disc (fullscreen on one side of the disc and 1.66 on the other) stated that in fact the 1.66 version was masked as it did not show any mew information on the sides of the picture; others said that the 1.66 version was in fact 16:9 compatible; others said the opposite; and to confuse matters even more, imdb.com states that its original aspect ratio is ... 1.85!!!

Can someone please make a sense of all this?!

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
IMDB is a good source, but not really for aspect ratios, which are as often wrong as correct.

The 1.33 side of the dvd is unmatted, but it does also lose some information on the sides. It's probably more open-matte than it is p&s, but it's still MAR :thumbsdown:

The 1.66 is not anamorphic as far as I can tell, but at least it's OAR.

Buy the MAR if you wish, but if you check this site's mission statement, we are pro-OAR, so don't be upset if you get flak for doing so.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

Why do you say it will be the PG cut of the film, Chuck? Has this been confirmed, also what was the original DVD release rated?

Why wouldn't we see a new anamorphic transfer for this title, any good reasons for your pessimistic outlook?

Also, I notice over at IMDB, it lists Swamp Thing as having a 1.85:1 aspect ratio yet lists the DVD as pan & scan... why?

The laserdisc version was released 1.33:1 I believe, can anyone confirm the correct a.r. for this film?

Thanks.

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
I doubt MGM will release the PG version of Swamp Thing. This new version is believed to be a Special Edition, and MGM has always be very good about releasing their cult film w/more footage. If anything I'll bet that the new disc will have the international cut and come either unrated or with a new higher classification.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks