What's new

MGM Press Release: BOND 50 (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
A friend of a friend actually works on the Bond films looking after the vehicles that appear in the films . He's due back ( or might already be back - Turkey I think ) from working on Mission Impossible 5 but he's leaving for the next Bond film in a few weeks time - not sure where he's going though.
I'll see if I can get some titbits of info although I did get told off on another site for revealing that M was killed 6 months before Skyfall opened so I'll try to keep the info a non sensitive nature.

He's often working at the Leavesden studios which are about 30 miles from me but these international stints make the scenery more interesting I guess

brioni

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
youworkmen said:
A friend of a friend actually works on the Bond films looking after the vehicles that appear in the films . He's due back ( or might already be back - Turkey I think ) from working on Mission Impossible 5 but he's leaving for the next Bond film in a few weeks time - not sure where he's going though.
I'll see if I can get some titbits of info although I did get told off on another site for revealing that M was killed 6 months before Skyfall opened so I'll try to keep the info a non sensitive nature.

He's often working at the Leavesden studios which are about 30 miles from me but these international stints make the scenery more interesting I guess
A pretty sweet job!

Yep, no spoilers would be welcome, although like Skyfall I might have to now go on a social media blackout for 12 months. I didn't even hear the song until I saw the film for the first time. Viewing films this way is so much more rewarding.

Same with the JB Radio, they keep going over B24 news on every episode which i really don't want to hear.

brioni

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Osato said:
Interesting comments by Charles at the beginning of #022. It seems that Peter Hunt and John Cork worked on the colouring for the SE DVD and also consulted with Charles Helfenstein for the pre-credit. Makes me wonder if any of the other SE's were overseen by the directors....and its a shame Lowry didn't use them as a basis for the UE's!

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Charles Smith said:
By all means, keep us informed!
All I know so far is when he leaves its Destination Austria . Whether the action takes place there or whether Austria is doubling for somewhere else I don't know yet but presumably Austria means snow .

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I tried to watch Live and Let Die over the weekend but it wouldn't load at all. :( I read people are having problems. Wondering what to do. I might try the phone number on the box. I've had this too long to return to amazon. :(

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Radioman970 said:
I tried to watch Live and Let Die over the weekend but it wouldn't load at all. :( I read people are having problems. Wondering what to do. I might try the phone number on the box. I've had this too long to return to amazon. :(
When was the last time that updated the firmware on your player? If I recall, a number of the Bond discs had issues that were corrected by firmware updates.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
atfree said:
My hopes for Bond 24:- Gunbarrel opening- more use of legacy music cues, i.e. James Bond Theme, Barry's "007" theme.- Bond to not be so morose.Craig wanted his turn as Bond to be more like the books; Bond in the books enjoyed life AND was deadly serious about his job.
Couldn't agree more with this post! Absolutely spot-on.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Yep, no more depressing Bond titles for me. I recall with fondness the bon vivant of the books and also the Connery classics. Moore took it in a campier direction, but even he understood that 007 took pleasure from the finer things in life. And let's be honest, the travelogue spectaculars of the Moore/Bond flicks have never been equaled. I used to love that sort of globe-trotting to exotic locales. How else would most of us, unaccustomed to Bond's lifestyle or bank account, get the opportunity to see them?

When the series began to rely on gadgets it veered away from Fleming's original vision, but hey - this is the Bond movie goers grew up and fell in love with. Craig's Bond has taken us down a very dark corridor indeed and, at least in my opinion, homogenized the series as just another action franchise with little distinction from its competitors.

What's the difference between Quantum of Solace and, say, The International (the latter, which I rather like on its own merits, by the way)? I don't want my Bond perpetually rumpled, sullen, disgusted with life and even more adverse to women, except to use them (sexually or otherwise) and then toss them off as though they were snotty Kleenex. The argument since Craig assumed the mantle was "Bond for real". But let's be honest. Bond was never intended to be real. Even in the Fleming novels he's a super man, heroic, noble and in pursuit of the truth. He just doesn't wear the cape with the big 'S' on the back.

If I want a realistic working class bro who kicks butt and drinks like a sailor, quashing his sorrows with distasteful hooker sex in a seedy tropical bar, I'll rent a Danny Trejo flick, thanks!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Radioman970 said:
After you update the firmware and try the disc on another blu Ray player, I would contact amaZon.I had problems with my quantum of solace disc from the set and they were very helpful. They offered me a credit or I could return the set. I was surprised as I ordered it in 2012.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Nick*Z said:
Yep, no more depressing Bond titles for me. I recall with fondness the bon vivant of the books and also the Connery classics. Moore took it in a campier direction, but even he understood that 007 took pleasure from the finer things in life. And let's be honest, the travelogue spectaculars of the Moore/Bond flicks have never been equaled. I used to love that sort of globe-trotting to exotic locales. How else would most of us, unaccustomed to Bond's lifestyle or bank account, get the opportunity to see them?

When the series began to rely on gadgets it veered away from Fleming's original vision, but hey - this is the Bond movie goers grew up and fell in love with. Craig's Bond has taken us down a very dark corridor indeed and, at least in my opinion, homogenized the series as just another action franchise with little distinction from its competitors.

What's the difference between Quantum of Solace and, say, The International (the latter, which I rather like on its own merits, by the way)? I don't want my Bond perpetually rumpled, sullen, disgusted with life and even more adverse to women, except to use them (sexually or otherwise) and then toss them off as though they were snotty Kleenex. The argument since Craig assumed the mantle was "Bond for real". But let's be honest. Bond was never intended to be real. Even in the Fleming novels he's a super man, heroic, noble and in pursuit of the truth. He just doesn't wear the cape with the big 'S' on the back.

If I want a realistic working class bro who kicks butt and drinks like a sailor, quashing his sorrows with distasteful hooker sex in a seedy tropical bar, I'll rent a Danny Trejo flick, thanks!
Exacty. I've been a Bond fan since I read my first Bond novel at age 10 (Live and Let Die) in reaction to the release of the film in 1973. I've read all the novels at least 10 times each, as I've usually read them in order once per year for the past 10 years or so.

The "book" Bond was many things...but ultimately the Secret Service was his life and he enjoyed the travel, the excitement, the food (the novels are always ultra-descriptive of the meals Bond eats), and the women. The pre-Craig films took these to the nth degree and weren't as gritty as the books, but you always wanted to be Bond and lived vicariously through his exploits. While I enjoy the Craig films and the craftsmanship the last 3 films have had, I can't say that I'd want to be his version of Bond.

And to almost completely ignore the legacy of the Bond films in terms of music, the gunbarrel opening, etc, is my biggest gripe with the recent films. I thought Thomas Newman using the James Bond Theme for just that one 30-second section of "Skyfall" (when Bond and M getaway in the Aston Martin) was almost insulting, a patronizing "here you go fanboys" thumb of the nose.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Alex, good summation of what works and doesn't in James Bond movies. It's been along time since I've read any of the novels, but I still have my old Signet paperbacks. I used to love the intricate descriptions of the food and drinks and cigarettes that Bond consumed. Obviously, Fleming was drawing on his own preferences for the character. It was great to have Fleming's own erudition on display in the character of Bond.

I'm sort of losing interest in the franchise now. I've said before that I'd like to see a retro Bond set in the time frame of the original novels. They could remake some of the stories that only work in the 50's (like Moonraker, which was my favorite Fleming novel), and the Russians could be the bad guys again. The character has become rather out of date for the 21st century. Craig is very 21st century, but not really Bond any more. Maybe Bond needs to go back in time to the mid 20th century.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Thanks for the tips!

I updated firmware earlier this year. My player and TV, via the internet. The player is a Pan BT300. And I believe the current firmware is 2.5, I'll check. I don't have another player but I might get my friend to check it on his or try it on the family's player at Thanksgiving.

Actually, turkey and Live & Let Die sounds tastee! But the folks have a sound bar... Hummmm.. plus dad every 5 minutes. "It's a little loud and I can't hear to talk." So scratch that.

@Osato. Thanks! I will contact amazon too and see what happens. I think I'll check out the whole stack and see if any other don't start.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
David_B_K said:
It's been along time since I've read any of the novels, but I still have my old Signet paperbacks. I used to love the intricate descriptions of the food and drinks and cigarettes that Bond consumed. Obviously, Fleming was drawing on his own preferences for the character. It was great to have Fleming's own erudition on display in the character of Bond.

I'm sort of losing interest in the franchise now. I've said before that I'd like to see a retro Bond set in the time frame of the original novels. They could remake some of the stories that only work in the 50's (like Moonraker, which was my favorite Fleming novel), and the Russians could be the bad guys again. The character has become rather out of date for the 21st century. Craig is very 21st century, but not really Bond any more. Maybe Bond needs to go back in time to the mid 20th century.
I also re-read the Bond books from time to time. I have them from all -- Fleming, Amis, Gardner, Benson, and the one-offs from Faulks (weak), Deaver (good) and Boyd (weakest of all). As for the films, I liked Connery, Brosnan, Lazenby, often Moore (usually went too humorous), and even Dalton, though he couldn't handle the lighter parts at all.

As for Craig, he's killed the franchise for me. He plays Bond as a thug who looks like he's been sucking a particularly sour lemon. Compared to him, Dalton is Moore. I saw Skyfall after hearing how great it was. What a bummer. No fun at all, except when the Aston-Martin arrived on the scene, and when they blew it up the message was plain: Forget about having any fun, folks. We are now "serious and artistic cinema."

Their "reboot" -- which is all the rage now, even with that mishmash called Star Trek: Into Darkness -- was to make Bond into Bourne. Well, I'll watch Bourne instead; they do Bourne better.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Best way to get the 007 series back on track is to change the leading man .
Craig has as much charisma as a table.

Bond used to be special now they deliver nothing you can't find in numerous other movies.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Radioman970 said:
Thanks for the tips!

I updated firmware earlier this year. My player and TV, via the internet. The player is a Pan BT300. And I believe the current firmware is 2.5, I'll check. I don't have another player but I might get my friend to check it on his or try it on the family's player at Thanksgiving.

Actually, turkey and Live & Let Die sounds tastee! But the folks have a sound bar... Hummmm.. plus dad every 5 minutes. "It's a little loud and I can't hear to talk." So scratch that.

@Osato. Thanks! I will contact amazon too and see what happens. I think I'll check out the whole stack and see if any other don't start.
My friend tried the disc out on his player and it worked perfect. Ain't that nice... :(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks