What's new

MGM Press Release: BOND 50 (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
0b4acd1e2b687c77ed4be6c3e619bc34.png

Two posts alert: I found out something very interesting regarding UA logos in Bond films. First off, anyone here own the Region 1 DVD of OHMSS from 1999? If so, try this:

Do a stream of the discs VTS_001 files with angles "01" and one called "02DC". 02DC reveals the above logo.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
Also, it looks like I solved the case of the 10-note-fanfare that would sometimes accompany the 1967-1968 UA logo: Turns out it was really the Titanus fanfare, the original distributor of Operation Kid Brother in its native Italy.

On the U.S. prints of the Italian James Bond spoof Operation Kid Brother (Original Italian title: O.K. Connery), the 1967-1968 UA logo plastered the original Titanus logo that started the picture, but maintained Titanus' fanfare: A ten-note fanfare that had the first seven notes sound like a solo cornet, and the final three being a brass trio. UA likely extended the animation of their logo at the time to match the length of the Titanus' fanfare.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Vahan_Nisanain said:

Two posts alert: I found out something very interesting regarding UA logos in Bond films. First off, anyone here own the Region 1 DVD of OHMSS from 1999? If so, try this:

Do a stream of the discs VTS_001 files with angles "01" and one called "02DC". 02DC reveals the above logo.
Interesting!!! I don't have the old DVDs anymore. Just the bond 50 set and the thx version of spy from 1997 or so????

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Osato said:
Watching a view to a kill tonight. It does seem that this film transfer appears a bit softer than octopussy.I am curious to see what fox and MGM do with the bond film transfers for 4k. I'm sure they will issue at least a few of them on the format.Would've been nice for them to have mastered them all at 4k scans rather than just the connerys and a few others.
On Her Majesty's Secret Service doesn't even look like it came from a 4K scan, fine detail is poor, they contrast boosted to try and make it look better but it still looks very average to my eyes, i just think the Lowry process was not perfect back then and all the Bond films would benefit from new 4K scans, if they did it for RoboCop they can sure as hell do new scans for the Bond movies.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
I still haven't solved the case of the UA Hexagon, though. Some people have claimed that it only appeared on Goldfinger, and none of the other three pre-1967 Bond films, which I find hard to believe.

arbogast

Grip
Real Name
Scott
Vahan,

Do you have a copy of this DVD? Can you supply the UPC code for it? I have been unable to verify the existence of such a disc. All I find are 2000 OHMSS DVDs, but no 1999s. Can you help?

Would love to see a good quality 2.35 version of the 1969 era UA/Transamerica logo! Any chance you could post the video?

Thanks,
Arbogast
Vahan_Nisanain said:

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
The individual who found this out on CLG Wiki, said that he won't open another YouTube channel. He closed his original one, because of some dumb little kids stealing the videos and claim it to be from "Greeny's Majesty Secret Service" or some garbage like that. Sad. I do wish he would send it to someone else to upload it.

Oh, and speaking of CLG Wiki, there's a discussion about this very discovery right here:

http://www.closinglogos.com/thread/5195989/Amazing+discovery+on+the+1999+DVD+of+%22On+Her+Majesty%27s+Secret+Service%22

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
FoxyMulder said:
On Her Majesty's Secret Service doesn't even look like it came from a 4K scan, fine detail is poor, they contrast boosted to try and make it look better but it still looks very average to my eyes, i just think the Lowry process was not perfect back then and all the Bond films would benefit from new 4K scans, if they did it for RoboCop they can sure as hell do new scans for the Bond movies.
Agreed. Hopefully fox and MGM are at work on something for next year.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Vahan_Nisanain said:
I still haven't solved the case of the UA Hexagon, though. Some people have claimed that it only appeared on Goldfinger, and none of the other three pre-1967 Bond films, which I find hard to believe.
On the 35mm prints I've seen over the years, You Only Live Twice is the first one to open with a UA logo.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
Hmmm. Maybe it was American prints of the first four Bond films that you saw. I know the Hexagon was prolific on British prints of British UA films, as well as foreign prints of American UA films (recently, I saw the hexagon that was on foreign prints of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World). Not to mention I never saw the Hexagon on American UA posters, only foreign ones.

Speaking of British prints, on the original British prints of Goldfinger, it ended with an announcement that Bond would return in On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

charlesgunn

Agent
Real Name
chaz
Before the Bond films arrived on Bluray , the UK Sky tv service showed a series of Bond movies in HD quite early on and their restored Goldfinger actually included the "Returns OHMSS" on the end credits.
By the time the Blu arrived it had been changed of course

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Pretty good BBC radio special. Roger Moore, Britt Ekland, John Glen, Richard Kiel, Michael Wilson and Barbara Broccoli are featured.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04g6zg8

I recently watched Diamonds, Octopussy and A View to a Kill.

I think The Living Daylights or Skyfall may be next. I've been listening to the Skyfall soundtrack in the car lately.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex

charlesgunn

Agent
Real Name
chaz
The Reunion documentary that reunites Roger Moore , Richard Kiel , Britt Ekland and others is repeated on Friday morning 9am UK time on BBC Radio 4. It's likely to be available on the Iplayer also but I'm not sure if US listeners can gain access

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
charlesgunn said:
The Reunion documentary that reunites Roger Moore , Richard Kiel , Britt Ekland and others is repeated on Friday morning 9am UK time on BBC Radio 4. It's likely to be available on the Iplayer also but I'm not sure if US listeners can gain access
It is currently available for US listeners to hear.http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04g6zg8

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks