1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

MGM or TRIMARK: Bring "Real Men" to DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Allred, Dec 30, 2001.

1. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    "Real Men" came out in 1987, something of a comedy/sci-fi film. Stars Jim Belushi and John Ritter.
    Ritter is basically a wimp from small town USA when one night, CIA agent Belushi forces him to help on a secret mission involving an exchange between Earth and aliens.
    It had a VERY limited theatrical release then went straight to video. It gets an occasional airing on cable TV.
    I still enjoy the flick, especially the scene involving Belushi's mom hitting on Ritter...of course we learn "mom" used to be "dad".
    My understanding is that United Artists originally released the picture which should make "Real Men" the property of MGM but I became confused when sites like E! Online said the distributor is Trimark (owned by Lions Gate now.)
    So to whichever studio that owns this small film, please consider releasing this onto DVD in the near future. It certainly isn't expected to get 'special edition' treatment but a decent video/audio transfer (that includes it being in widescreen!) would be agreeable.

2. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Looks like i'm not the only one who caught this on TBS this weekend, eh Michael?[​IMG]
    Yes, this is one of my guilty pleasure films. I saw it back in 88/89 and caught it everytime it came on HBO. It's the silliest movie on earth, with the dumbest plot, but their is just something about it that is very appealing to me.
    I would definatly get this if it came out on dvd.
    Bob...
    "Their gonna shoot at us aren't they?"
    Nick...
    "Probably Bob, that's what they brought the guns for."

3. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    Hehe, actually I caught the tail end of it but was reminded of how much I enjoyed those 90 minutes of silliness. Belushi just had some great lines and delivered them *perfectly*.
    Guity pleasure? Sure, it's still a pleasure though.