MGM Musicals: Ziegfeld Follies Transfer on DVD

Discussion in 'Movies' started by LouR, Apr 25, 2006.

1. LouR

LouR Auditioning

Just received new "Ziegfeld Follies" DVD today....has anyone noticed how the transfer , although sharp, has artifacting and has a very processed look? The 1994 LD box set was mastered from an interpositive off the original nitrate negs, and although that version is by far inferior now, the image is stronger...does anyone in the know have any ideas? Also on the DVD itself, the graphics are just black lettering, not the usual 3 color design printed on the disc...are we in for transfers on hand / budget issues on lesser titles now?[​IMG]

2. JustinKolozvari

JustinKolozvari Auditioning

I noticed less than stellar transfers on MOST of the DVDs in the "Classic Musicals from the Dream Factory" set.

Pretty disappointing. I mean, I am happy they're now available on DVD but was expecting ultra-resolution on some of these. The classic musical set last year with Bandwagon and Easter Parade looked fantastic.

Summer Stock looks pretty good without an ultra-resolution, but I think Ziegfeld Follies and Till the Clouds Roll By could have definitely used it.