What's new

MGM MOD: Fox Bows On Demand MGM Movies for Retailers (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by SWFF
That's exactly what I was thinking, too, Bob. The only one I ever bought, though, was THE WHITE BUFFALO and I might have to pick it up again, if it ends up looking better than their previous version, which was free of glitches, I must say.
Out of all the MGM/Amazon MOD's, White Buffalo looked the best. I picked up Cold Turkey and The Best Man also. While the transfers were clean and looked good they were widescreen/non-anamorphic. The thing I dread the most.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Oh, wow, they actually released a few of those titles non-anamorphic?! I never paid much attention to that when I had my Sony Trinitron, but, then, when I went all HD-TV, I learned right quick the difference between anamorphic and the dreaded non-anamorphic. That should be a requisite for all titles coming out from all studios, big and small, factory pressed DVD an MOD. But, I tell ya, some days I miss the low maintenance of the tube television.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Nebiroth
Just once I wish an exec would be honest and just say

"We like MOD because we smelt an opportunity to make a cheap product that will sell at a premium price"
The cost of replicating DVDs is so little that I bet a studio makes more off a standard DVD release than a MOD release. If you don't want to buy MOD releases don't, but there are plenty of people in this thread that are excited for the opportunity to finally be able to buy titles that have never been available before.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Here's an update on their program coutesy of Home Media Magazine:

With a film catalog the envy of most studios, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc. recently bowed an Internet-based platform that allows retailers to order one-off DVDs of select classic titles never before released at retail.
I guess the writer of that article doesn't realize that the MGM "catalog" does not contain most of the studio's greatest films. Many of the best titles in their collection as it stands now aren't even MGM properties, but those they acquired from United Artists. Yes, those are technically a part of MGM, Inc., but even so I would not consider it a film catalog that could be called the "envy of most studios."

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Oh, wow, they actually released a few of those titles non-anamorphic?! I never paid much attention to that when I had my Sony Trinitron, but, then, when I went all HD TV, a learned right quick the difference between anamorphic and the dreaded non-anamorphic. That should be a requisite for all titles coming out from all studios, big and small, factory pressed DVD an MOD. But, I tell ya, some days I miss the low maintenance of the tube television.
Agreed, in this day and time, why would anyone release anything non-anamorphic. Warner Archive and Columbia Classics have all be anamorphic when required due to OAR, but some of Universal/Amazon MOD's (The Chalk Garden) and the above MGM titles along with The Group, Two On A Seesaw and several others were not. It just never made sense. By the way the MGM Fitzwilly MOD was pan-scan.

When MGM starts this new program, I will wait for reviews and think twice about ordering a non-anamorphic.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Quote:
I consider these MOD programs to be necessary evils. Like most I do prefer they do those MOD flagged movies as factory pressed DVDs, but since that's not even a viable option anymore, I believe, each movie collector must make his, or her, peace with this format in their own way. Yes, you can go the route of not buying them because of their inherent problems (i.e. DVD glitches, bad transfers, non-anamorphic transfers, etc) and high prices, or you can whether the storm, and deal with the pricing by waiting for sales, or holding off until you have the money, and sending back the bad DVDs until you get one that plays and is free of glitches, and understanding that, yes, there are gonna be some movies that they just won't make anamorphic and look at it in the light of, well, it's better than not having it on DVD at all. I, personally, have chosen to do the latter, because, as a movie collector, the worst thing I can ever do is deprive myself of a long sought after flick just because I hate the concept of MOD programs.

But, if any of you choose to go the former route, I shall begrudge you not. I pretty much did that when HD-TVs came out. Didn't get one until last December and had to educate myself right quick on what they can and can't do. And, it's happening again with Blu-Ray. I still haven't gone blu and because of that still get pissed when studios load them with more extras than the standards. So, I ain't gonna throw stones at anyone who doesn't want to engage in the MOD revolution for whatever reason.

Okay, the soapbox is free now if anyone else wants to use it.

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
Adam Gregorich said:
The cost of replicating DVDs is so little that I bet a studio makes more off a standard DVD release than a MOD release. If you don't want to buy MOD releases don't, but there are plenty of people in this thread that are excited for the opportunity to finally be able to buy titles that have never been available before.
With all due respect there are probably as many more who don't like these programs and the direction that home video presentation is taking. I'm sure that in many cases it's not simply a matter of "not wanting to buy" - pricing, availability etc also raise the issue of "can't buy". There's an elitist aspect to these programs that shuts out many people - not everyone has the means to indulge so it's not unreasonable to see complaints.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Adam Gregorich said:
I believe the problem is shelf space - the Best Buys/Walmart do not want to carry them - there isn't room to compete with the blockbusters. The only place is on-line (Amazon or from the studios), and it's probably cheaper than pressing a limited amount and getting stuck with the inventory. most of these will not sell in large quanitites anyway. The Studio's biggest cost is still transfering these films and setting up the menus etc.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Adam Gregorich said:
With all due respect there are probably as many more who don't like these programs and the direction that home video presentation is taking. I'm sure that in many cases it's not simply a matter of "not wanting to buy" - pricing, availability etc also raise the issue of "can't buy". There's an elitist aspect to these programs that shuts out many people - not everyone has the means to indulge so it's not unreasonable to see complaints.
That may be, but the choice is see some titles on MOD or not at all. Better to give people the choice than to deny everyone. Shawn's post was fantastic.

Its not about gouging or screwing the customer. There are titles that the studios can't justify making a standard production DVD run of. There isn't the demand for it. This isn't speculation, we have talked to the studios about it. They can't afford to do a full production run and store titles that are going to take forever to sell since no one will stock them and they aren't selling well. Why do you think classic releases dropped off for a while? People weren't buying enough to make them cost effective. It isn't a replacement for DVD. If they studio can sell enough for a DVD release they will. MOD gives people the opportunity to buy titles that they won't be able to otherwise. If you don't want to buy them don't, but there seems to be a lot of people in the MOD threads that like to "rain on the parades" of those who do.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
We were told that one of the reasons that MOD makes titles viable that otherwise wouldn't be was the cheaper production costs.

In a large run of the latest blockbuster, then yes, a standard DVD is cheaper to produce per unit.

In MOD you make lots of savings, you don't have minimum run requirements, there are virtually no distributions costs, and so on.

I think as a film fan it's all too easy to get so excited about finally owning that "must have" movie that how badly we're getting screwed on the price of these things is getting overlooked.

And it;s not as if that premium price indicates a lot of restoration work or extras. Quite the opposite. The MOD's are bare-bones. So much so that DVD sites make a lot of saying "and some of these releases will include trailers!"

Adam Gregorich said:

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Standard DVD releases are perfectly viable. In actuality "not viable" froma large studio is "not enough profit to be worth bothering with". MOD is their answer to that but there are plenty of other solutions.

Nothing to do with getting the films out. If the bean counters calculated they could make ten cents more by throwing the negatives into the furnace and saving on heating oil over releasing them onto DVD, they'd be merrily shovelling them into the fires.

Personally I think they're all a bit surprised at the success of MOD. I guess there are more desperate fans with money to burn willing to pay high prices for a cheap product than they thought.

The conversation probably went

The Bean Counter: "but surely, the customer isn;t going to swallow getting charged four times as much for a product of manifestly lower quality and less content?"

The Exec: "Trust me. A starving man will empty his bank account for a half a mouldy loaf"

I consider these MOD programs to be necessary evils. Like most I do prefer they do those MOD flagged movies as factory pressed DVDs, but since that's not even a viable option anymore

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
What other option will bring as many unreleased films into our homes as these MOD programs? It's staggering how much is available through the Warner Archive, and Sony bowed with 100 movies. Criterion has released/re-released some studio films this year, and there's the modest Paramount/Olive deal, too, atop the equally modest Paramount/Legend/Best Buy deal. It's great when a gem like THE PROWLER gets a pressed disc-plus-extras release, but that's a drop in a very deep bucket. And the audience for these older films, while pleasingly passionate, is like the population of WWII vets, dwindling every year.

Anyway, another circular argument has broken out (happens every Tuesday when the Archive issues new titles, even in a non-Archive thread) but the new news is as ever appreciated.

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
Originally Posted by Bob Cashill
And the audience for these older films, while pleasingly passionate, is like the population of WWII vets, dwindling every year.
It's worth bearing in mind that programs such as this are in their own way helping that audience dwindle even faster. Older titles released through MOD programs are necessarily being seen by even fewer people than ever. The age of a movie is certainly a factor influencing its popularity - but that's by no means the whole story. The real issue is exposure. I'd wager that most of us who post here grew up in an era when it was not uncommon to be regularly exposed to films of all vintages via the TV. For a variety of reasons, though largely due to the fragmentation of mainstream media, this kind of availability is becoming increasingly rare. Standard retail DVD, while never a perfect replacement, did help staunch the leakage a little based on affordability, availability etc - but MOD narrows that potential audience down dramatically. Regular DVDs always had the potential to be bought blind for the reasons stated above - even among hardened film fans that's certainly not the case with $20 a pop MOD discs.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
I can't wait until the movies get released, (mid-December), so we can start talking about movies again rather than the pros and cons of MOD programs, which, I think, we've done to death. Don't you all think?

westumulka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wes Tumulka
Yes, I think I've had enough of these imaginary conversations that the film studios are having with their accountants.
I don't like the MOD program and hope that we get back to pressed discs in the USA, but we seem to be going around in circles with the arguments about the benefits and downfalls of MOD.
Please can these be moved off to their own thread somewhere.

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
Have we now reached the point where statements along the lines of "I'm alright Jack" or "Put up or shut up" are the only ones we're allowed to express?

westumulka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wes Tumulka
No, but I don't see made up conversations with the film studios and their accountants adding anything to this topic. Do you, Colin?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Originally Posted by westumulka
Yes, I think I've had enough of these imaginary conversations that the film studios are having with their accountants.
I don't like the MOD program and hope that we get back to pressed discs in the USA, but we seem to be going around in circles with the arguments about the benefits and downfalls of MOD.

Those pseudo-conversational lines are merely a way of presenting a certain argument, it seems to me. No reason to move those few lines to a specific thread of their own.
And the discussion itself is certainly on topic in this thread!

And I hate the MOD program too. I'd rather have those films I want on a regular released SDVD or BD, period, or more accurately: acclamation point!
(Also implying I find the "this or nothing at all" argument less relevant.)

Cees

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Originally Posted by westumulka

Those pseudo-conversational lines are merely a way of presenting a certain argument, it seems to me. No reason to move those few lines to a specific thread of their own.
And the discussion itself is certainly on topic in this thread!

And I hate the MOD program too. I'd rather have those films I want on a regular released SDVD or BD, period, or more accurately: acclamation point!
(Also implying I find the "this or nothing at all" argument less relevant.)

Cees

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
"Have we now reached the point where statements along the lines of "I'm alright Jack" or "Put up or shut up" are the only ones we're allowed to express?"

No, but it's reached the point where the anti-Mod crowd is just recycling arguments they made a year ago and that they'll continue to recycle. I find it offensive because it somehow infers that they think the rest of us are intellectually incapable of understanding the point they've made because they give it over and over and over and over in the hopes of one of us goes, "Duh! You're right. I'm not going to buy anymore MOD titles. How can I have been so stupid!".

Surely it time for those anti-Mod obsessives to either move on or start their own thread (rather than continually infecting other threads) where they can gleefully bash MOD programs ad infinitum.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks