What's new

MGM MOD: Fox Bows On Demand MGM Movies for Retailers (2 Viewers)

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Are all the titles made during that period involved or just certain titles ? Is there a list ?

SeanAx

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean Axmaker
Apparently it did not affect all discs from that period, and certainly reviews of many discs released in that time frame do not note any image issue. There is no master list of affected discs.

Basically, you need to look at your discs and see if there are ghosting issues. If not, you're fine. If so, you can get it replaced.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Not sure this came up here but DVD Savant found some info re: the running time of CLOUDBURST: "After getting all excited about the prospects for a longer cut of Cloudburst, faithful correspondent Stefan Andersonled me to the BBFC's page on the movie which clearly states that the movie was released at the same length in England as well ... if there was a longer but, the Brit censors made short work of it. Fudge."

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
SWFF said:
Any word on the June releases?
June 14:
April Morning (1988) (Hallmark Hall of Fame TV film)
The Boss (1956)
Call Me Bwana (1963)
The Fourth War (1990)
The Halliday Brand (1957)
Haunted Summer (1988)
Hennessy (1975)
The Iron Triangle (1989)
The Killer Is Loose (1956)
Lost Lagoon (1958)
Love Is a Ball (1963)
The Man in the Net (1959)
A Midsummer Night's Dream (1968)
Phaedra (1962)
Quincannon, Frontier Scout (1956)
A Rage to Live (1965)
Red, White and Zero (aka The White Bus) (1967)
Riot in Juvenile Prison (1959)
June 28:
Adolf Hitler - My Part in His Downfall (1972)
Another Man, Another Chance (aka Un autre homme, une autre chance) (1977)
Cannon for Cordoba (1970)
Curse of the Faceless Man (1958)
Down Three Dark Streets (1954)
The File of the Golden Goose (1969)
Gun Duel in Durango (1957)
Hot Cars (1956)
Johnny Cool (1963)
Return to Treasure Island (1954) (directed by Ewald André Dupont; there was another film released this year with this title)
Riot on Sunset Strip (1967)
Oops! Looks like I missed official press release post... Sorry!

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by DaveM4964
Still no Town That Dreaded Sundown on the list :(
One of the Holy Grails of unreleased films on DVD. Hopefully one day it will be released.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Has anybody bought the NEW version of THE WHITE BUFFALO? I noticed
38b4daf4_1568560h.jpg

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by SWFF
Has anybody bought the NEW version of THE WHITE BUFFALO? I noticed DVD Empire is now selling MGM MOD's, (no Warner or Sony, though), and the back of the DVD is saying it's a full frame movie. Isn't it supposed to be LBX? The old version I got is LBX. What's with the new one?
Is this really a new version or just a repackaging of the first one. I did not think there was anything wrong with the one from Amazon. Color was good, transfer was sharp and it was anamorphic widescreen (OAR 1.85to1). I would hope the Full Screen mention on the back of the DVD is again just a moron working in marketing.

Did you get the Amazon White Buffalo?

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
I should have clarified, it's a repackage, I just came across it when I learned DVD Empire was now selling MGM MOD's. It's also on my blog and I wanted to update the DVD covers with those above. I still have the original DVD-R. Just wondering why it's being stated as full screen. Does anyone have that above version?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
They really do make mistakes like this with the packaging. In my review for The Captive Heart, I mentioned that the liner notes said it was presented in widescreen, but, of course, it's a 1952 movie and is presented properly in Academy ratio.

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
Replacements discs of Fort Bowie and Fort Defiance arrived today. Fort Bowie now looks great -- a huge improvement. No more ghosting. Hooray!

Fort Defiance still has the same problems -- white specks on the picture (especially visible against the blue sky), horizontal lines. They still don't look like something on the print as they do not change in shape or flicker in and out. TCM ran this a while back and it was perfect, virtually no damage and certainly no rash of white specks. So I really wonder what's going on with this film.

The 7th Dawn replacement is not ready yet so it was not with the other two.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
For any of you that recently ordered MGM MODs from Amazon you better make sure you actually load up the menu screen to make sure you got the right movie. There have been some big time screw ups lately. Today I got my order of Cloudburst and High School Hellcats and even though the case cover art and disc art said Cloudburst and High School Hellcats the movies actually on the discs were A Thousand Clowns and Return to Treasure Island, respectively. I did some further checking and found complaints that Burn Witch Burn had The Nun & the Sergeant and Park Row had Harry in Your Pocket.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I suspect that someone hoping for BURN WITCH BURN who got THE NUN AND THE SERGEANT instead would be annoyed, but that someone planning on viewing THE NUN AND THE SERGEANT who got BURN WITCH BURN would have a heart attack when the title came up.

Thanks for the heads up. My PARK ROW is just PARK ROW.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Just to verify that I am correct: I should wait to purchase a copy of House of Long Shadows? Are there issues with that disc?

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
HOUSE OF LONG SHADOWS is a total mess--fullscreen and a dim and barely watchable image to boot. Unless someone here has verified it as corrected steer clear.

Wade Sowers

Second Unit
Real Name
Wade Sowers
I've only watched a couple of the latest batch of MGM/MODs (HELL BOUND and HIGH SCHOOL HELLCATS - had to get all the "Hells" out of the way), but at least as far as these two are concerned, the quality seems to be on the upswing - both look fine to me, sharp black and white, better than much of the stuff released in the first few batches. They do suffer from the aspect ratio problem in that both should have been 1.66:1 or 1.85:1, but you do not really lose much, the frame looks OK, as they were no doubt shot with a television sale in mind. Also from this batch, and presented in the correct widescreen aspect ration, BLOOD BATH looks as well as anyone could expect considering the production history - the original footage from the, I believe, Italian movie shot in Venice has a nice black and white contrast; of course, the plot still makes no sense. Anyway, I hope they are finally getting these transfers right, at least as far as the quality of the image is concerned.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I received The Destrutors and The Fearmakers in the mail yesterday from Amazon. I haven't watched either yet . I did receive an email from Amazon today claiming that both movies are defective and they are sending out new copies and not to bother to send the old ones in .

Anyone heard anything on what the deal is with that ? Is there some type of recall on other titles also or just these ? I assume it has nothing to do with the ghosting problem because i ordered them after that problem was supposed to be cleared up ..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks