What's new

MGM Midnite Movies "dead again" remark (1 Viewer)

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
>>Given the economy there should be room for lower cost releases.
-----
There you have it-people across all the nation are being laid off-by the 100s. make that 1000s
(I think the BLS plays fast and loose with the UC numbers-Unemployment is more like 10%-and their numbers on inflation- 5%....?!
Aw, gimme a break!) Info gleaned from the alternative financial sites, not WSJ or MSNBC-or as some call it-MSN BS.

Cutbacks-things cost more. Fuel. Credit lines frozen-People buying less.
So the studios dont want to gamble on marginal titles-that also may or may not sell well in a meltdown economy...
The fact that a larger-and probably selling very well MGM 'B' film like LIFEFORCE cant even get an upgrade, but rather, is bundled into 3-discs-for-a-dollar packs says it all.

AlanBrom

Second Unit

That's very true and to me, it doesn't make sense to spend money on new widescreen transfers of stuff like HANDS OF THE RIPPER, TWINS OF EVIL, VAMPIRE CIRCUS, BLACK SABBATH, BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW, THE INCREDIBLE MELTING MAN and WITHOUT WARNING only so the films can play on Monsters HD. Wouldn't they want to utilize these for DVD sales?

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

No source information.

The doom and gloom just hangs over horror releases from major studios. I remember last year everyone was in a panic that Warner wasn't releasing any titles yet they came through. This year word got around saying Warner was releasing nothing and they did come through with two double features. Last year we weren't getting any Universal titles but they eventually came. The only thing we know for certain is that Paramount is worthless but I think the others suffer from the economy, too much stuff on the shelf and the fact that Best Buy is one of the last big chains and they are cutting back on what they stock.

I think the studios think it's crazy for them to release too much stuff to one genre when sales might suffer from too much being released. If MGM releases 15 titles, Warner releases 2 box sets and then Universal has a couple box sets out there then not everyone is going to be able to pick up everything. I think Best Buy is calling the shots on this stuff and they don't want three exclusives released at the same time. MGM, Universal and now Warner are all working with BB now and they have more say than the studios do. BB controls the small guys as well because studios need their shelves.

Of course, you do have to wonder why the majors think fans only buy horror titles at Halloween time. I mean BB could release MGM titles in Jan., Warner titles in May and then Universal titles in Oct. or however they want to release them. Having all three studios fighting over Oct. will probably cut back on releases but I certainly don't feel that we're never going to get this stuff.

James 'Tiger' Lee

Second Unit
Real Name
James Lee
Can we have someone other than Best Buy? Someone who ships to the UK?

I'm glad a friend got me the Uni Horror set because unlike the other Best Buy stuff, it hasn't been released to other stores

AlanBrom

Second Unit

If they do go with Best Buy exclusives next year, I'm sure they'll be available everywhere after a window of a few months. But I understand how frustrating this can be for overseas collectors.

AlanBrom

Second Unit
I found this frustrating post on the Midnite Movies yahoo group. This is a quote from someone in the industry who was in the beginning stages of licensing the Midnite Movies series from Fox/MGM:

"I approached MGM who in turn passed me over to FOX with an offer from a smaller company to take over the Midnight Movie line. The offer was all new releases would be prepared by this other company, including bonus materials and then distributed by MGM/FOX. Having worked on numerous titles in the past I would aid in the gathering of bonus materials and even do audio commentaries. We had hope of bring the line to the Blu-ray arena with 4 to 6 titles on one Blu-ray disc - many of the films part of the line and or attached as future releases to the line have been mastered for HD already. After setting up meeting with certain parties for a phone conference FOX decided to NOT to return calls and ignore emails. All I know is that a major curve at FOX must have been ordered when hiring. I have dealt with that company for over 20 years and have seen a general decline in intelligence - and the product shows it."

Pretty sad statement about the way this company is now being run. I am also reading that Fox's control of MGM's library will expire within a year or so, so hopefully the Shout! Factory might be able to license some of their cult titles.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TravisR

Considering most studios only put 5 episodes of a 45 minute TV show on one Blu-ray disc, I wish them luck with fitting 6 to 9 hours on one disc.
A 50GB Blu-Ray Disc can hold over 9 hours of HD video. It would be a welcome choice if a studio actually utilized the capabilities of the software.

AlanBrom

Second Unit
Originally Posted by MarcoBiscotti

I just want to see The Black Sleep finally released to disc!
You might have seen this released if Fox would stop sitting on their film libraries and pick up the damn phone.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
The MGM news today as bleak. With MGM on the edge of their seats for the release of the remake of FAME today, MGM made a phone plea to their bondholders to stay alive;and the bondholders told the studio to go bankrupt, MGM says that would be the worst possible outcome and would place both 'Hobbit' and James Bond in peril. The studio says that it could not survive without Bond. The equity partners have already written their losses off and will not put anymore money into the company. The bondholders are first in line to be paid if the company goes bankrupt. The whole thing started when MGM asked for interest payments be delayed until 2010 so they can use the money for production. Bondholders said no.

This is going to be interesting and sad on the outcome. Let alone what will happen to the library.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Well, frankly can any other library owner do much worse? Maybe some new ownership would be a good thing because we're sure not seeing much of squat from the current regime.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I agree with you and hope the library will go someone else (other than Paramount or Lionsgate), but it will take years for this to sort out and I always hoped that if MGM could get there finances straight, then they would have time to re-look at their inventory. By the way, the powers that be in the industry think MGM is worth only about 1.8 billion which would give the bondholders only about $0.50 on a dollar which is not what they want either.

Martin Welch

Agent
Real Name
Martin Welch
I've noticed that Shout Factory is releasing a number of MGM owned television series. Fingers crossed that they license some their movies to them, or that they might pick up the Midnite Movies line.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by ahollis

I agree with you and hope the library will go someone else (other than Paramount or Lionsgate), but it will take years for this to sort out and I always hoped that if MGM could get there finances straight, then they would have time to re-look at their inventory. By the way, the powers that be in the industry think MGM is worth only about 1.8 billion which would give the bondholders only about $0.50 on a dollar which is not what they want either.
In a follow up, the MGM bondholders did allow for the interest payment to be delayed to 2010. This will give the studio some breathing room, but there is rumor (speculation) that Warners is already looking at the studio for purchase.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by ahollis

In a follow up, the MGM bondholders did allow for the interest payment to be delayed to 2010. This will give the studio some breathing room, but there is rumor (speculation) that Warners is already looking at the studio for purchase.
I hate to beat a dead horse, but with the advent of the Archives, I no longer see this as good news. For me the selling point of the Midnite Movies was quality versions of B movies at an affordable price. I'm no longer convinced that Warner will be willing to maintain that standard.

Martin Welch

Agent
Real Name
Martin Welch
Originally Posted by mdnitoil

I hate to beat a dead horse, but with the advent of the Archives, I no longer see this as good news. For me the selling point of the Midnite Movies was quality versions of B movies at an affordable price. I'm no longer convinced that Warner will be willing to maintain that standard.
MGM has a lot of new and some HD transfers (check out the MGM HD Channel's Halloween schedule, though you might want to cry for what's being shown that's not out on DVD) of older cult films ready to go. If Warner was to take over, let's hope that they'd still let MGM function as it's own unit. Just a hopeful theory.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks