1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

MGM: Major DVD discontinuations?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jarrod Ferris, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Jarrod Ferris

I arrived at work yesterday to some odd news. I work in a video store and was told by my manager, that our distributor, Video One (largest distributor in Canada), had informed us that effective immediately all MGM DVDs and VHS are discontinued. We were advised to return any product within ten days.

Word is that any new releases will still come out, but are already discontinued. Supposedly in March, the titles will begin to be re-released, with only 100 titles at first. And ALL VHS may never be released again.

I don't know if this is just a Canada issue, but I assumed someone here might now what is going on.

2. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Wow. That's some wacky-ass news if true.

3. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I just checked with some of my contacts at retail in Canada, and they haven't heard anything. It would not surprise me if Video One was in trouble though. Who knows what is going on with these distributors these days.

4. Rain

Rain Producer

Sounds totally bogus to me.

5. Jarrod Ferris

I know it sounds bogus, but I spent the whole day packing up MGM dvd and vhs to be sent back! I know it sounds too strange to be true, that's why I'm trying to see if anybody who reads this can shed some light.

6. Shaw

Shaw Stunt Coordinator

eeeehhhh!!!

I'm still waiting for more Vincent Price DVDs to be released like Conqueror Worm and The Raven.

(Kneels and pray this isn't true)

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Sonds like they may just be changing distros and intend to issue new SKUs

8. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

I believe yesterday the Warehouse chain announced they were closing the majority of their stores. Don't know if Video One is associated with them.

9. Anders Englund

Anders Englund Second Unit

Doesn't "discontinued" just mean that they're not made anymore. Why would you send them back?

--Anders

10. Jarrod Ferris

When a video is discontinued, the distributor gives the retailer a window of opportunity to return product which they may feel will never sell. (like 12 copies of "Bad Influence"). We didn't HAVE to send the product back, but good business dictates you send SOME of it back. Obviously we kept the James Bond, Marilyn Monroe, and Woody Allen films, as well as other "hits".

11. Rain

Rain Producer

I suspect that if all MGM DVDs were disappearing from shelves all over North America, we would have a lot more than 10 posts in this thread by now.

12. Matthew Kiernan

Matthew Kiernan Stunt Coordinator

It is my understanding that Warners controlled Canadian distribution of all MGM titles until just recently, not unlike a couple of years ago, when Warners also had a controlling interest in MGM home video (which is one of the reasons why MGM was one of the first companies into the DVD market), which was a result of Warners bailing out a then-finacially strapped MGM Home Video in the early 1990's. It was about 4 years ago when MGM was able to break off ties with Warners, which also resulted in Warners re-releases in MGM titles (like THE WIZARD OF OZ and SINGIN' IN THE RAIN).

Similar deal, I think.

13. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Since the managers at the major retaillers I talked to hadn't heard anything about this, it may only be a chain wide situation. Doing returns in January is nothing unusual.

14. Rain

Rain Producer

I checked out the Virgin Megastore in downtown Vancouver today. The shelves are still full of tons of MGM DVDs.

15. Travis_W

Travis_W Supporting Actor

I know someone who works in the retail buisness as well. MGM is discontinuing thousands of VHS titles for sure, reducing their stock from a 1,000 or so to only a couple of hundred. This is in the US though. MGM is actually increasing their DVD stock so maybe this is a Canada thing.