What's new

MGM - Lionsgate.. future of DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
With the official announcement that MGM's library is up for sale with nothing being held back, and Lionsgate who hasn't had that great of a track record for proper OAR nor bonus materials is the frontrunner for purchasing. Do you think this will help or hurt the MGM library especially older titles which many have been waiting for years to be released on SD DVD?

I am a Horror - Sci-Fi fan and also miss the Midnite Movies offerings yet wonder if the AIP, Orion, etc... library will also be part of the lot?

The market is really soft right now and many loosing money on DVD sales. Look at Warner's just announced DVD to Blu-Ray swap deal they are offering for this holiday season to boost that market share.

Eric

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I think Lionsgate is more interested in the logo, name and studio (non-produced or non-released projects) than the library. While Lionsgate has been very successful, I am not sure they can raise the funds for the the entire thing. The library will either go to Sony or Warners, depending on the highest bid. There could be a surprise winner for the library and that would be Paramount. Fox, Disney, and Universal have other fishes to fry right now as does Paramount, but there is hints that they would like to exploit the remake and sequel rights. Summit, like Lionsgate has also been kicking the tires for the logo and such. Again that would be a large chunk to bite off. While I truly hate to see MGM end, the studio has been on life support since the late 70's and needs to end it's misery. The debt load on Lionsgate and Summit, if they go for the whole thing, would be difficult to manage and we would see another fire sale in two or three years.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Eric Huffstutler

Look at Warner's just announced DVD to Blu-Ray swap deal they are offering for this holiday season to boost that market share.
Really, what's this about and is there a catch??

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Lionsgate doesn't deserve my library. If they get anything, it's a certain sign that 2012 will be the end of the world. They can't even put out a watchable transfer of John Ford's mastepiece "The Quiet Man". They have shown no signs of caring about older films or the quality in which they are presented.

I would rather have the whole shooting match dumped in to the WB archive than go to Lions Gate. (..and I'm not a current supporter of the archive)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I can't wait to see edited episodes of MGM's TV shows on DVD, pan and scan 1980s transfers rehashed, and more John Huston movies with 10 minutes missing.

Martin Welch

Agent
Real Name
Martin Welch
My worst fear here is that whatever happens, the AIP and other classic vault titles will remain unreleased, yet someone will give the ok for MGM to continue production on something called "Hot Tub Time Machine." Life is not fair.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
I doubt MGM will be sold for the price Lions Gate is looking to pay for it, unless they strike a deal to sell the rights to THE HOBBIT to Warner Bros. More likely is that Time Warner will buy the company out to complete the MGM collection and acquire the trade mark in full.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
But didn't Warner own the library at one time; sold it off... so why would they get it back again? Same with Sony?

Seems like MGM is a hot potato. Sad since they have boat loads of titles that could be released including silent classics, AIP titles, etc... But if MGM is willing to sell off their James Bond franchise with the deal doesn't make things look well at all for the studio.

Not sure if Paramount is in the running but haven't seen that many blockbusters coming from them lately nor classics on disc. I am still waiting for the 1929 silent "Wings" which was getting the full treatment, to come out. It made it to Laser Disc years ago and looked fine to me so not sure just how much work is needed so 5 years later?

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Originally Posted by MarcoBiscotti

Really, what's this about and is there a catch??
There is another thread on this but basically Warner is listing some 50 titles on Blu-Ray and you just mail in your standard copy to them along with a prepaid envelope for return of a Blu-Ray replacement of the same title for free. Guess the market is that soft that I am seeing Blu's going for under $10 many places online and the players are reported to be coming down to about $100 for this holiday season. Pushing the Blu technology as studios sit on stock while people are still sitting on the fence.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
Originally Posted by Eric Huffstutler

But didn't Warner own the library at one time; sold it off... so why would they get it back again? Same with Sony?
No, Turner bought the MGM library in '86, and sold the UA titles back to Kerkorian (who had purchased them in '81) when he owned the place. Turner's stuff ended up with Time Warner after they bought him out. So MGM owns the library of UA and post-'86 films.

Sony bought and still holds 1/5 of MGM along with Comcast, Providence Equity Partners and the Quadrangle Group. The buying price was $5 billion, now it's looking like the company is only worth $1.5-3 billion. The whole thing has been mismanaged.

Seems like MGM is a hot potato. Sad since they have boat loads of titles that could be released including silent classics, AIP titles, etc... But if MGM is willing to sell off their James Bond franchise with the deal doesn't make things look well at all for the studio.
No surprise. James Bond is just another mindless franchise now, not the event film-of-the-year it used to be. If you look at MGM's holdings, there really aren't that many great films that can be exploited by any other company. There's a great TV catalog, but that's if the company that purchases it is looking for that sort of thing.

Not sure if Paramount is in the running but haven't seen that many blockbusters coming from them lately nor classics on disc. I am still waiting for the 1929 silent "Wings" which was getting the full treatment, to come out. It made it to Laser Disc years ago and looked fine to me so not sure just how much work is needed so 5 years later?
Paramount is playing it close to the vest with good reason. When the going was good, you could get away with releasing a 1927 film on DVD with all the frills. These days, it's not the same market, not the same game. Perhaps we'll be lucky if some time down the road, Paramount installs an on-demand service like WB and offers it, but elements are not the issue here (the film was restored some years ago).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks