MGM: JEREMY and UNTIL SEPTEMBER

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jon Hertzberg, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    Stumbled upon 1973's winning teen romance Jeremy and the 1984 Karen Allen vehicle Until September while browsing the Best Buy racks. I had no idea these had or were coming out. Has anyone looked at the discs? I know Jeremy has both 16x9 and fullscreen transfers while Until September has only a 1.66:1 non-anamorphic transfer.

Interested to see Jeremy as the VHS tape I have features an unusually abominable transfer--really blurry IIRC--which looks like it must have come from a particularly ragged 16mm print. Also, I thought I read somewhere, perhaps in Maltin's guide, that there was an extensively different tv version of Jeremy floating around.

This is a small film with a genuine sweetness and very little pretense. It's over rather quickly, but its ending resonates. Glynnis O'Connor, the object of Jeremy's (Robby Benson) affections, is just about perfect as the smart, pretty, and preternaturally mature Susan--the dreamgirl of many a fifteen-year old boy. Why she didn't get better adult roles is beyond me. Benson (often unfairly maligned) and O'Connor were paired in several subsequent projects including Ode to Billy Joe (WB), in addition to dating offscreen.

2. Steve Armbrust

Steve Armbrust Second Unit

Ah yes, Glynnis O'Conner was definitely one of my screen dreamgirls. I haven't thought of her or seen her in many a year.

I don't know anything about these discs. But if Until September is out, perhaps there's hope for my own personal Karen Allen favorite, Split Image, from 1982which doesn't seem to be available in any format.

3. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    Split Image is a Filmways/Orion release so I'd assume it is MGM's now. It remains uncertain if we'd see it in 16x9 OAR or full frame, something MGM seems quite arbitrary about. It is a fine film from Ted Kotcheff who had quite a varied and prolific year in '82 with this and First Blood (both Orion). IIRC, Kotcheff was miffed at Orion for their mishandling of Split Image--I believe they picked it up as some part of deal related to First Blood. Split Image came out around the same time as another good film about cults, Ticket to Heaven. Meg Foster and Kim Catrall played roles in that film similar to that of Karen Allen in Split Image. Neither film is very well known these days.