What's new

MGM/Fox May War/Western/Comedy titles (1 Viewer)

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young
Very good news re: 'Morning Departure'. Actually a post-war film, set in the late 1940s, it is notable as the breakthrough film for director Roy Ward Baker (later the director of 'Night to Remember' (1958) and 'Quatermass and the Pit' (1967)).

Also glad to see Roger Corman's war film 'The Secret Invasion' getting a release.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Ok, I am hooked for the MGM/Fox westerns, war, and comedy releases in May. I will stretch the bank account for those films and also the Fox westerns that month.

I have been looking forward to MGM digging back into their vaults for some more 60’s & 70’s comedy. THE NIGHT THEY RAIDED MINSKEY’S and IF IT’S TUESDAY THIS MUST BE BELGIUM on my must have list. WHAT DID YOU DO IN THE WAR, DADDY? is also on my want list.

I do not wish to sound as if I an not appreciated for those releases, but would like to suggest in future releases that the following be considered.

For Those Who Thing Young
Gaily, Gaily
8 on the Lam
Fitzwilly
The Honey Pot
Buena Sera, Mrs. Campbell
Here We Go Around the Mulberry Bush
Some Kind of Nut
Pussycat, Pussycat, I Love You
The Landlord
Cold Turkey (One of my must have)

Again many thanks to MGM and Fox for their continued support for great classic films released and with the titles listed, I do believe that they listen to suggestions. How long have we been requesting MAN OF THE WEST? Now we will have it in all its glory. Thank you and I will support the releases also.

Vern Dias

Second Unit
Real Name
Theodore V Dias
Being MGM, with their history of poor transfers, I wouldn't be getting too excited yet.....

Vern

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I have found that since MGM has used Fox as their distributor, that the transfers have been better than the past, especially when Sony was the distributor. The only negative is that when they re-release a title, the use the same poor transfer, such as they did with The Train.

Their new releases seem acceptable, such as The Young Savages, which was included in the same box set as The Train and The Apartment, which got a redo.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
It looks like 2008 may be the strongest year so far with focus on classic Western releases from all studios on DVD.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
Really happy with the Fox and MGM western releases in May. Especially looking forward to DAY OF THE OUTLAW (59) - an underrated gem by the great De Toth.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
I'll be getting these, and maybe Man of the West if it is better quality than the Region 2 and 4 copy I already own.

I'm very interested in Gunfight at Dodge City. It was directed by Joseph M. Newman who I think is an under-rated director of B films. I watched a widescreen recording of Fort Massacre last week, it is the film he made just before Gunfight at Dodge City. It is a lost patrol type cavalry western also starring Joel McCrea.

I hope Warner release The Big Circus, another Joseph Newman film.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Just a note to say these dvds have been added to the DVDpacific.com catalogue if that is where people like to buy from.

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
Surely The Secret Of Santa Vittoria has to be good news! I have been waiting for this title for ages.

Who owns the rights to The Last Grenade? A long overdue Stanley Baker release....

DanMel

Second Unit
The artwork is up for the MGM westerns that will be released on May 13th. I do think that MGM has become the top company for artwork on their movies. This is just a personal preference of my own but I would say that MGM dvd cover art blows away anything that WB and others put on their dvd cases. I certainly like this stuff way better than cheap looking original poster art from the 40's and 50's.

Classicflix.com : - Read Articles

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

I like these covers too. But I also like the vintage art Warner generally uses.

I just hope the quality of the transfers is above the regular standard from MGM, ultimately that is more important for me than the covers.

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young
I'm not sure about Navajo Joe, I do rather like the original poster:

I'm also surprised that like 'Hills Run Red' they make no mention of this being a Spaghetti Western title, get the Tarantino fanboys et. al. interested.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Is Navajo Joe a good movie?

It's the only one of the group that I'm not completely sold on yet. It's also the only Italian Western of the bunch directed by Corbucci in '66. I generally enjoy Spaghetti Westerns and b-grade Euro stuff, but it's also a hit and miss genre. Would this one be worthy of a blind buy?

DanMel

Second Unit
I'm only sold on three of them:

The Westerner William Wyler
Man of the West Anthony Mann
Day of the Outlaw De Toth

But I will also be gettin the three Fox westerns. These releases have also inspired me to pick up a bunch of the none MGM westerns in the new James Stewart western collection May 20th along with The naked Spur, Broken Arrow, Man who Shot Liberty Valance, The Man from Laramie, and James Stewart Screen Legends.

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
I will be picking up those exact same MGM titles and of course the Fox 3-pack. You can't go wrong with any of those other James Stewart titles.

-D

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
How can you guys pass on any movie starring Kirk Douglas, Robert Mitchum and Richard Widmark in the same film?!?!?

Or any western starring Mitchum for that matter... Man With The Gun. And The Gunfight At Dodge City with Joel McCrea is also fabulous.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

I really like it, although I generally hesitate about recommending anything as a blind buy. It's got a GREAT Morricone score (sample), high body count, and while a lot of people make fun of Burt Reynolds's "Incredible Hulk" hair (including Reynolds himself) I think he gives a solid, extremely physical performance.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Andy, I didn't realize it was scored by Morricone. That's almost enough reason for me to give it a go. Sounds like it should be fun!

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor

I wish I could buy all those but the reality is that with the huge number of interesting titles coming out each month I have to prioritize (for the sake of my poor wallet). Like DanMel noted the 3 titles we picked have better known directors (not that they don't have big name stars - Gary Cooper is in two and Robert Ryan who is a personal favorite of mine is in the third). I haven't seen any of the films myself but going by IMDB ratings (which I find reliable for most part) these 3 titles are generally better movies too (I am sure that is very much a matter of opinion). A lot of times I end up picking a few titles from a wave and then going back and picking up the rest when there is a 20% sale at DDD or something like that.

-D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks