MGM - DVD trailers missing text!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Edward Heuck, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

I have purchased three different MGM DVD's, all of movies previously released by United Artists, and I've noticed a peculiar similarity in all their trailers as provided on DVD. The DVD's in question are WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION, SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS, and IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD. Each of the trailers on these DVD's feature trailers that have successions of scenes and music, maybe some narration, but no text -- no titles or logos on them, no credits, etc.

It occurs to me that what is happening is that MGM has been going back to original negatives for this material instead of existing prints, with the best intentions of picture quality. But obviously these negatives were intended to have text optically layered over them later, perhaps in different languages for different countries, and no one has seen fit to alert their mastering people.

I well understand it is too late to do anything about titles already on the market, but I would strongly suggest that in the future that this be checked before release; someone should compare it to a laserdisc or video copy in the archive, or just watch the durn thing beforehand. I know in the past, other companies like Disney have relain titles through videoburn, so it would not be too difficult to fix any other trailers whose negatives lacked text.

2. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

Help me, back me up, fellow MGM DVD owners. Have you noticed trailers on your MGM discs that are strangely devoid of any print and seem to end abruptly?