MGM DTS DVD releases...hopes???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by YANG, Oct 20, 2001.

1. YANG

YANG Second Unit

MGM upcoming and recent releases are mostly DD titles.Now they have only one title with DTS...are there any more hopes for more?
    Back catalogue titles?
    Looking at the list of upcoming theatrical release titles,it seems to me that only BANDITS and WINDTALKERS will be a possible boxoffice hit.Will these two films bring us more DTS DVD offers from MGM next year?

2. Daniel L

Daniel L Stunt Coordinator

I wouldn't read too much into the fact that Hannibal included DTS.
    It was a co-production with Universal, which is likely the main reason it included DTS.
    Daniel L

3. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

Too bad Windtalkers got pushed back til June 2002 for a theatrical release. I was looking forward to that one.

4. John C

John C Stunt Coordinator

From what I've heard, MGM thinks DTS is a waste of valuable disc space and will only include a DTS track when they absolutely have to. In the case of Hannibal, Universal and Ridley Scott wanted a DTS track so MGM bowed to their preference. If only they would bow to OUR preferences more often....

5. YANG

YANG Second Unit

"In the case of Hannibal, Universal and Ridley Scott wanted a DTS track so MGM bowed to their preference."
    Lets hope that movie makers,producers,and directors will be influenced by consumers feedbacks.

6. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

I think that the studios have already been influenced by feedback. That's why I think that if a studio isn't doing DTS right now, it isn't going to do it at all.
    How many times has Paramount said, "We're thinking about it, but not this year" only to later say the same thing in that "next year".
    The MGM/UA case of Hannibal, as has been pointed out, was due to Ridley Scott.
    Regards,
    Dan