What's new

MGM... do they own Pink Floyd at Pompeii??? (1 Viewer)

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
So far as I can tell, MGM ended up with the majority of Polygram titles from Seagram back in '98 (look here...).
If you go to Amazon, they list the Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii VHS video as a "Uni/Mercury" title. I'm taking "Uni" to mean Universal, but originally, the film was a Polygram title. And isn't there a connection between Universal and MGM? I know, I've been under a rock. I know there's a connection, but never paid attention enough to have that info stick in my head. Can someone provide a refresher, without too much ridicule? ;)
Argh! That's about as far as I can get, and then I start screamng. So does anybody know who owns the dvd rights to Floyd at Pompeii? It drives me nuts that there has not been a word of this title coming to dvd since the formats birth, and it's a bit dismaying that MGM may actually hold the rights. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they'd do a fine job of putting it out, but I'm afraid it may be put on the backburner for a very long time, as they have such a large library at their disposal, and it doesn't seem that music/concert films are big on their agenda right now.
Any info would be highly appreciated.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The LD was Polygram Music. I have no idea who has the rights now, but I'd love to get this one on DVD.

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the input Jeff, but geeze, I can't believe I didn't mention in all of that that I had the Polygram LD. This is in fact exactly why I had been hunting down Polygram's trail. Anyway, whoever has the rights needs to get with it, because while I may have the LD, I don't have an LD player anymore :frowning: .

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Thanks to Brian E who posted a very infomative article in another thread which answered my question...
It is Warner, not MGM, that now completely retroactively controls (to January 1, 1999) all pre-1986 MGM titles, in addition to all the pre-1948 Warner titles that up until the deal MGM had home video licensing rights to (though Warner was actually distributing these MGM-licensed Warner titles!). MGM retains control of the post-1986 catalog, the complete Orion and Polygram acquisitions, as well as all United Artists titles.
MGM/Warner deal
So come on MGM, is there any chance of this title getting a release?

Brian E

Screenwriter
I don't know if MGM would hold the rights to it since it's a Polygram Music release. That might be different.

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Brian, all I see on the laser is this...
Link Removed
Where have you seen this listed as a Polygram Music property? The darn thing is a film, dangit! I'm still pinnin' this on MGM. ;)

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Eh, dammit, okay, so I'm seein' it show up here and there as Polgram Music Video. Grr. :frowning:

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
MGM Home Entertainment owns most of the Polygram Filmed Entertainment library.

USA Home Entertainment owns the rest of the Polygram Filmed Entertainment library.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
MGM Home Entertainment owns most of the Polygram Filmed Entertainment library.
USA Home Entertainment owns the rest of the Polygram Filmed Entertainment library.
USA owns the Polygram films from The Game and newer if I remember correctly.
Universal Music owns the Polygram music titles, so I would assume they own Pink Floyd At Pompeii. Universal reissued Polygram's CATS recently as it fell under the music side.
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks