Mgm: Dark Of The Sun

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob Cashill, Dec 1, 2001.

1. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

Having surprised us with the hitherto unavailable British cut of THE DOGS OF WAR on DVD (and thanks very much for it) how about that other merc classic, DARK OF THE SUN (1968)?

A terrific actioner that cries out for an uncut, anamorphic LTX transfer, I think it was scheduled for LD, but never made it. It's one of Martin Scorsese's guilty pleasures, not that he has anything to be humiliated about. It turns up LTXed on TCM from time to time-and the time has come to bring it to DVD. Perhaps Rod Taylor, Jim Brown, and director Jack Cardiff (who photographed DOGS OF WAR) would have something to say about it as an extra?

Any other fans out there?

2. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Terrific movie and one of Rod Taylor's best performances. Unfortunately, it is now owned by Warner Bros. DVD release is anything but likely.

3. Mick Wright

Mick Wright Second Unit

I caught this last summer at Quentin Tarantino's film fest in Austin. I had never seen it before and I was blown away by how cool it was. Afterward I was dismayed to find that there was no dvd release available. I'd love to see one.

4. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    A cool adventure film I'd also very much like to see on DVD. I like how the German mercenary character is dubbed by the late, great Paul Frees half the time (Paul Frees was everywhere). Commentary/interviews with director Jack Cardiff and stars Rod Taylor, Jim Brown & Yvette Mimeux would be most welcome extras.

5. Matthew Kiernan

Matthew Kiernan Stunt Coordinator

I was under the impression Columbia owned this. Am I worng?

6. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

I think Dick is right; it's an MGM title now owned by Warner, drat. Well, we can dream...

7. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I'm glad to see that there are other people who know & love this film besides me. One of my childhood favorites that I would love to see on DVD.