MGM catalogue titles

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob Engleman, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Bob Engleman

Bob Engleman Stunt Coordinator

Anything in the works for the following:

1.Adventures of Don Juan
    2.Beau Brummell
    3.Ivanhoe
    4.Kim
    5.Knights of the Round Table
    6.Mutiny on the Bounty (Clark & Brando)
    7.Prisoner of Zenda, The (Granger)
    8.Taras Bulba
    9.Young Bess

Bob Engleman

2. Werner_R

Werner_R Stunt Coordinator

I would love to get my hands on Ivanhoe and Knights of the round table. I hope a DVD is not so far away...

3. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Bob, You know that Warner owns these titles now? You might want to change your thread title so it includes their name.

4. Bob Engleman

Bob Engleman Stunt Coordinator

Jay,

Thank you for that word; even though I'm in the video business, the musical chairs they play with rights can be confusing. It was my understanding that Warner only owned the post 1965 titles.

Bob Engleman

5. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    Bob Engleman wrote:

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Warner owns all pre-1986 MGM films, excluding all United Artists (save for a few they picked up via different purchases) films.
    MGM retains all United Artists titles which UA had retained (most of the pre-1950's UA films were simply distributed), the Orion catalogue (minus Orion-WB co-productions and Saul Zaentz), Filmways, American International (in Filmways package), Samuel Goldwyn, Avco Embassy (some parts of catalog co-owned by CanalPlus+), Mirisch, and obviously, all of the post-1986 MGM/UA films.
    The Warner package includes the Turner package (all pre-1986 MGM, pre-1950 Warner Bros, 1931-1933 Harmon-Ising Merrie Melodie shorts, all color pre- Sept. 1948 Warner cartoons, 1933-1957 Popeye cartoons, Saul Zaentz company films, RKO (minus a few titles Howard Hughes retained and later sold to Universal like The Conqueror and Hell's Angels), Show Boat (formerly owned by Universal, the James Whale version), Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931 Paramount Fredric March version), Around the World in Eighty Days (sold directly from Liz Taylor), the Orion-Warner co-productions like Time After Time, David L. Wolper films, and pre-1986 MGM television stuff.
    Between the current Warner Bros. and the current Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, that has to be at least 1/3 of all Hollywood films. [​IMG]

7. James L White

James L White Supporting Actor

8. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

One film that mgm does own is Caesar and Cleopatra starring Vivien Leigh - a gorgeous master - put it on dvd now.

9. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer