What's new

MGM announces 80's favs in P&S (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Taken from DVDFile's announcement
The Matt Dillon comedy The Flamingo Kid is presented in non-anamorphic 1.85:1 widescreen
, while Johnny Be Good, Hot Dog The Movie, Bright Lights Big City and the original Breakin' are presented in (sigh) full screen only. All include trailers, and retail is $14.95 each.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Wow. That's dissapointing. One giant step backwards for MGM DVD. I certainly won't be buying any of these.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I really wonder what's going on at MGM's home video division sometimes. It's as if they have one set of people working on genre titles that generally do an amazing job, and then they've got another set of people working on the rest of their catalog who are completely out of the loop. Very strange. At least about half of those August 80's titles (Valley Girl, The Sure Thing, Thrashin', The Rachel Papers, Foxes, and The Last American Virgin) are being treated with care.

DJ

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
You know a format has hit the crapper when you can't get Hot Dog: The Movie in OAR.

Was it Leonard Maltin who said that it was titled that way so that it wouldn't be confused with Hot Dog: The Opera?

Even though I'm making fun of it, it does suck that they're apparently just recycling some old masters.

And for those Uma Thurman completists, will Johnny Be Good be the original theatrical version or the raunchier home video version? My guess is number two.

My God, I know that there are different cuts of Johnny Be Good. That's what the internet does to you, kids.

Will K

Screenwriter
You said it, Dan!

MGM is the Gollum of the home video market, just schizophrenic as hell. Widescreen for my precious! No, no they hate widescreen and they hate you and will turn against you.

Sure, Hot Dog The Movie may be a dubious entertainment selection for many viewers, but even the crappiest films deserve an OAR release. Even the ghastly Johnny Be Really Really Bad.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
So instead of Hot Dog: The Movie MGM is giving us
Cocktail Weiner: The Movie

James L White

Supporting Actor
hopefully DVDfile just got some bad info, plus The Flamingo Kids is gonna be NON- Anamorphic, WTF is up with non-16:9 transfers?:thumbsdown: :angry:

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Dang, I've been waiting for "Bright Lights...."

I also passed on "Miami Blues" although I wanted it. 16x9 non-annie is just pointless...

:frowning: D

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
James, I would like to believe that, but an insider over at DVDTalk posted a number of weeks ago that those 4 films would be released non-OAR, so I believe DVDFile's report. Guess I won't be buying HD: The Movie sight-unseen after all.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
They got the info direct from MGM's release info that was distributed today. MAR it is! :rolleyes

What happenned? As someone else put it, we finally got Warner to play nice with OAR, and now MGM starts in? WTF?

You know Remo is fullframe, too...right?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Oh, I forgot: MGM also announced their horror/Halloween slate today. I'm surprised that wasn't mentioned as well:

OAR:
Howling SE
The Brood
The Ghoul (fullframe 1933 release)
Burnt Offerings
Clownhouse
Raw Meat
Squirm
Once Bitten

MAR:
I, Madman (fullframe 1989 release)

Double-Features:

OAR:
Comedy of Terrors/The Raven
Countess Dracula/Vampire Lovers
Haunted Palace/Tower of London
Ghoulies/Ghoulies II
Poltergeist II/Poltergeist III
Troll/Troll 2

Mixed:
Tomb of Ligeia (OAR)/Evening of Edgar Allan Poe (MAR I assume; fullframe on a 1979 release)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
It sounds as if it's time to start making phone calls, writing letters, e-mails, and maybe start a petition. Raise some hell, in other words.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Mixed: Tomb of Ligeia (OAR)/Evening of Edgar Allan Poe (MAR I assume; fullframe on a 1979 release)
This is incorrect. An Evening with Edgar Allan Poe was originally a made-for-televison special in 1972, so full frame would be the correct format.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well One Consolation is the May Showing of Remo Williams on HBO Hi Def, well that is assuming the OAR was 1.85 if it was 2.35 then still no OAR On HBO but it's better than P&S. I was heaping so much praise on MGM earlier this year, what happened? Their Budget line for the most part was 16:9. that's all I ask for the heck with extras

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

No, "Clownhouse" wasn't made for tv/cable, although that's probably where most people first saw it. The DVD will be the first time it's been available in OAR (other than any theatrical playdates it may have had).

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
I wonder if they were able to attain the music rights for all the songs on the Last American Virgin. There's some good music on there from Devo and the Police. If anyone knows, please post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KiaraD2021
Recent bookmarks