MGM and Warner Bros.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron Garman, Feb 9, 2002.

1. Aaron Garman

Aaron Garman Second Unit

Hello all. Just curious as to how and why Warner Bros. has rights to various different MGM releases. One example I can think of is North by Northwest. Does anyone know stipulations or where I could get the information on all this? I'm quite curious. Thank you.

Aaron Garman

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Aaron,
    Take a look at this archived thread, particularly the first page or so which talks about ownership of the film libraries.
    Crawdaddy

3. Aaron Garman

Aaron Garman Second Unit

Thanks, that was quite interesting. It is sad that the release of these old films is being held up. In fact, the mere preservation of some of them is becoming important. Soon enough, we may not have these films any longer. Yeah, it's nice to see a hefty special edition release of modern movies on DVD, but shouldn't we say to these studios that they should spend the money on preservation? I think it is more important to do so. Yes, I love having the elaborate DVD of Moulin Rouge, but I'd love to see films like Gone with the Wind get a FULL preservation, in addition to many other films out there. Who's with me!?

Aaron Garman