MGM A very Schizo Studio

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Scarpa, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    If you look at their slate of May releases you'll see what I mean. And this has been a track record for them lately as well. The release slate is littered with very good Special Edition that are OAR and Has extras. Then there are non anamorphic WS Disks, then there are Full Screen Only MAR releases.

I praised MGM as most improved studio last yearbut they had their hiccups with films like Summer Lovers etc.

It seems their release rational is all over the board and it's hard to determine just what their criteria for releases are.

What's up MGM you becoming the Sybil of Studios?

2. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    I've wondered this myself, and I think the answer is that MGM just doesn't want to put any effort into catalog titles that they believe won't sell well, so they use old P&S transfers. A shame, really. It hasn't happened to a film I want yet, but I know it will eventually if they keep doing it. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Well that's terrific...

Windtalkers gets a 3 disc SE treatment, and Miracle Mile gets a fullframe only release. [​IMG]

And what are the chances that a small gem like Miracle Mile is ever going to be re-visited?

*sigh*

- Walter.

4. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

There is also the fact that, for some of the titles, MGM obtained it from another source, not an MGM movie to begin with. The original elements needed to remaster it in widescreen may not have been available.

Miracle Mile for example was a Hemdale film, released on video by HBO originally. They might not even have a widescreen master to go from.

5. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

6. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

I'm aware of those possible issues and I agree that the final disc is the standard against which to make an assessment, but I'm still disappointed in the initial specifications. Open matte compositions may be the lesser of two evils, but they can be zoomed, eliminating 5 to 10% of the side information, and compositional aspects of the film are severely compromised in any case. I guess time will tell, but I'm expecting a piss-poor disc and can only hope that I'm proven wrong.

- Walter.

7. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Walter, since when does zooming cut off the sides?

8. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    MGM, like Columbia and Disney, make superb special editions, but neglect lesser releases.

9. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

10. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Dan,

Greg summed it up precisely. I'll cite one example of what I've noticed when making these sorts of comparisons -

When comparing a widescreen presentation of Chariots of Fire, taped off of Turner Classic Movies vs. the open matte DVD two things, besides the differing A.R.s, are quite noticeable when comparing synchronized video sources and switching between them:

a) The open matte presentation is zoomed in so that objects on that version are recognizably larger than objects in the widescreen presentation.

b) Approximately 5 to 10% of the image is cropped from the sides of the open matte presentation. The overall impact of this on the presentation varies from scene to scene, but in some cases is quite noticeable.

Whether or not this applies to Miracle Mile remains to be seen. I'm merely posting to reply to Dan; and I'll stop beating the horse. [​IMG]

- Walter.

11. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell